System Beeps While Running

Discussion in 'Asus' started by bcr07548, Feb 24, 2006.

  1. bcr07548

    bcr07548 Guest

    Lately my computer has been a little unreliable and I think there might
    be something wrong with my motherboard. Among other problems,
    sometimes when the system is running, the system will beep (yes, the
    system, not the speakers). This has happened a few times lately. Once
    it beeped and then kept running but every other time it beeped and then
    froze up. The last time it happened, I heard one high pitched beep and
    three low. The system is running AMI bios but the only info I have
    been able to find about beep codes has been for beeps that occur during
    the POST, not while the OS is running. Does anyone know what this
    could be? If it helps, here is all the stuff I have in my computer.
    None of it has been added recently - it's all been there for a while.
    -Brandon

    Asus P4P8X mobo
    P4 2.4 GHz HT
    Corsair Value Select RAM (1x512 MB module)
    XFX GeForce4 Ti4200
    SoundBlaster PCI512
    Pinnacle AV/DV analog and DV capture card
    RealTek 3-port FireWire card
    NEC ND-2500A DVD+/-RW burner
    Samsung SH-W162C DVD+/-RW DL burner
    2x60 GB Seagate hard drives (IDE)
    200 GB Western Digital hard drive (SATA)
    Toshiba e740 PocketPC plugged into a USB port
    Micro Advantage QuickiDrive flashdrive plugged into a USB port

    bcr07548, Feb 24, 2006

  2. bcr07548

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    One word..Heat!

    Your system is getting hot, and it is trying to tell you!

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 24, 2006

  3. bcr07548

    RBM Guest

    If you have asusprob on the board, check the temps. Open the box and make
    sure all fans are working and not dust covered

    RBM, Feb 24, 2006
  4. bcr07548

    Bill Guest

    Sounds like it might be the BIOS reporting a system issue.

    If you have the fan speeds and temperature settings for hardware
    monitoring in the BIOS enabled, the BIOS will alert you with beeps when
    one of the monitored items crosses the threshold setting. For instance,
    if the CPU gets too hot, the heatsink fan fails or slows down, case fan
    slows down, etc.

    Check all the fans and look at the settings for the Hardware Monitor in
    the BIOS.

    Bill, Feb 24, 2006
  5. bcr07548

    jojo Guest

    Your problem is there's no power supply. <grin>

    check your voltages. probably a low +5 volts.

    jojo, Mar 1, 2006