System Can't Get Past Black DOS Window bco Bad Floppy Drive?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by (PeteCresswell), Oct 21, 2010.

  1. Just troubleshot a family member's PC. ASUS mobo (so now we're
    on-topic....)

    They reported periodic system freezups (supported by many, many
    Event log entries). They also reported that it took them 5-6
    tried to get the thing to boot (pulling the AC power plug between
    tries).

    I noticed it was making a lot of noise, opened it up, saw that
    the cooling fins on the CPU heat sink were totally clogged with
    dust so the fan was blowing on a flat surface instead of through
    the fins.

    Cleaned it out, went for a re-boot, but the thing kept hanging at
    the DOS-like stage where it says "Press F2 for (BIOS) setup". I'd
    press F2 and it would acknowledge "Entering Setup", but hang
    there - same as the user reported.

    To make a long story short, I wound up yanking the floppy drive
    and the problem went away - or, at least, it's booted with no
    problems over a dozen times since.

    My guess: multiple problems.

    - The system freezes were caused by an overheated CPU, supported
    by the user's report that it got worse with use and was
    mitigated by leaving the PC in standby mode for a few hours.

    - The boot issue was caused by the floppy drive. System was
    taking some sort of inventory of devices and, when it got
    to the bad drive just hung there.

    Does this hold up to scrutiny by somebody who actually knows
    something?

    My main problem is the intermittent nature of the startup issue.
    Didn't observe it myself, but I believe the user. How could the
    floppy drive be bad 5 out of six times, but be OK that one time?

    (PeteCresswell), Oct 21, 2010