System does not recognise 2nd SATA drive after switch off

Discussion in 'Abit' started by pcpilot, Nov 7, 2005.

  1. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    I have just upgraded the CPU in my AA8XE - 3rd Eye System (Spec
    below) from a P4 3.4 Ghz to a P4 3.73 GHz Extreme Edition at 1066 Mh
    FSB. Initially the P4 EE CPU would not boot with the AA8XE postin
    errors (I am advised by Tech Support - memory allocation errors (A
    POST)) and under TS guidance the CMOS jumper was reset

    Following conversation with Crucial (Micron) the DDR2 voltage wa
    increased from the BIOS default of 1.8v to 2.1v and a further attemp
    to boot was successful with the P4 EE recognised both in BIOS and o
    the 3rd eye with a normal boot to XP Pro desktop

    However after the system was subsequently shut down the next restar
    to XP Pro Desktop resulted in the non recognition of my 2nd SATA Har
    Drive and no access to the data there in. After some fiddling with th
    SATA power and connection cables the next restart returned the driv
    to normal..............UNTIL the next power off that is! A furthe
    repeat of these actions yeilded the same result :(

    Abit Tech Support can shed no direct light on the problem other t
    suspect the SATA port or drive so actions repeated using differen
    port and cables yeilding the same result. :crybaby

    I am reluctant to condem the Drive (Maxtor Diamond Max 200GB SATA I
    7200rpm 8M buffer) when it is
    1. Less than 12 months old
    2. Performed flawlessly up to the CMOS reset when CPU upgrade
    3. Once recognised, performs without a glitch for inexcess of 72 hour
    (provided not shutdown/restarted)
    4. Of similar type to the main SATA drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 300G
    SATA II 7200 rpm 16M buffer) which contains the OS and IS recognise

    My suspicions lie with the reset BIOS (latest ID - 24) and I wonder i
    anyone might suggest a setting which needs adjusting

    This might not be connected but my broadband gateway (Linksys AG241
    also reset taking itself offline following the powe
    off.........haven't tried it since as soak testing the system fo
    drive problems

    System Specs

    Mainboard: Abit AA8XE - 3rd Eye - BIOS ID 2
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.73 GHz Extreme Edition 1066 FS
    CPU Fan/Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 48 mod/w Vantec Tornado 92m
    PSU: Enermax Noise Taker 2.0 600W - EG701AX-VE (W) SFM
    Case: Antec P160 with 1 X Papst Fan & 1 X Vantec Stealth 120m
    Fa
    Memory: 2 X Crucial Ballistic 1G PC5300 DDR2 667 Latency 12-4-4-
    Serial ATA 1: Maxtor DiamondMax - 6B300S
    Serial ATA 2: Maxtor DiamondMax - 6B200M
    Display Adpt: Leadtek Winfast PX6800GT 256MB TD
    ADSL Modem: Linksys ADSL2 Gateway and Router - AG24
    Voice/Fax Modem: Hayes Accura V92 PCI Mode
    SCSI Adapter: Acorp IOI SCSI 4203U Ultra SCSI Adapte

    NB: System is NOT currently overclocked!

    pcpilot, Nov 7, 2005

  2. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Some further info........

    Have this evening reset the BIOS (CMOS jumper), confirmed the correc
    locations for the 2 SATA drives and then restarted

    Set up BIOS again.......both drives now seen and rebooted. Hey prest
    XP desktop both drives present again. Restart the computer severa
    times (not Power Off) and all is OK. Shutdown computer (Power Off)
    restart cannot find SATA 2nd Drive. Restart (not Power Off) stil
    cannot see drive

    Repeat BIOS reset drive re-appears as if by magic, XP desktop bot
    drives present once again. Restart the computer several times (no
    Power Off) and all is still OK

    Have not tried another Shutdown as getting a little tired of fiddlin
    with the CMOS jumper to make the drive appear ........ and needed t
    pen this update :)

    Wonder if this extra info suggests any directions I might look t
    resolve the fault

    Once again thanks in advance of your kind responses!

    pcpilot, Nov 7, 2005

  3. Ah, so you're the one who bought the P4 3.73EE. Always wondered who it was.

    Have you tried reinstalling the previous CPU to see if this stabilises the
    system's behaviour?

    Would be beneficial to know whether this behaviour is directly related to
    the different CPU, or a coincidence that may only be superficially related
    to the processor change. Going back to the old one would clue us in on that.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 7, 2005
  4. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Hi Richard

    You may be getting me confused.......as the P4 3.73EE was a spur o
    the moment decision, available at much reduced price from a bankrup
    stock

    Had always been the intention to put a 1066 FSB processor i
    (eventually) as I bought the 'XE' board very much with futur
    proofing in mind (if you remember I had the BH6 till last Jan an
    still working (overspecked) on a P3 - now with the g/f) and wante
    the 64bit technology. The P4EE has EM64T spec wheras the 800 fsb 3.
    Ghz did not

    I must confess that I have not tried swapping the processor as Abi
    support ruled this out.........kind of guess I went along with that

    Is it possible the CPU could cause such a bizzare situation, how migh
    that be

    A processor swap was not what I had in mind I must confess and I ma
    not have time to disassemble things just at the moment, but wil
    respond again once I have tried it

    In the meanwhile I guess there are no other possibilities t
    consider

    Once again thanks for replying so swiftly, your advice is always muc
    appreciate

    Regard

    Nei

    pcpilot, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Ah, that's infinitely cooler. I was being a little cute earlier, based on
    the the knowledge that a large online supplier to which I have close links
    recently told me that they'd sold one (yep, uno, un) of these processors (at
    full retail) since they first got 'em in! As such, you're a member of a
    pretty exclusive club.
    Lol, can't be blamed for following their lead, and they may well be right,
    but all the same I think it'd be informative to swap back, if you have the
    option to do so. You never know with things like this...
    Yep, anything's possible.
    I was thinking of two possible avenues. The first one would be the 1066MHz
    FSB flag confusing the clock generator, with the result that the SATA bus
    starts to run out of spec and causes that drive to

    The other possible explanation could be the increased current draw of the
    P4EE causing the +12v line to fluctuate.
    Coolio. Would be interesting to know.
    As a matter of additional interest, how have you configured the CPU in the
    Softmenu/Guru? Have you left it all on Auto, or configured the FSB
    strapping/memory bus multipliers/bus locking etc. manually?

    Also, have you tried connecting the "disappearing" drive to one of the other
    connectors on the motherboard? Would again be interesting to note any
    chances in behaviour.

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 8, 2005
  6. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Hi Richard

    Despite earlier post have completed the processor swap/reswap and ca
    confirm that this ONLY happens with the EE installed........mos
    odd!

    On the advice of Abit's support also changed SATA mode to enhanced
    this makes no difference same result 3.4 GHz OK, EE cannot see secon
    drive on restart from power off and fails to POST beyond 75 (Detec
    & install all IDE devices: HDD, LS120, ZIP, CDROM....) though th
    main (OS installed) SATA drive is detected

    Might this be a BIOS compatability problem requiring an update fro
    Abit HQ

    Interestingly, the latest guru software v1.2.6 locks up on the factor
    set Turbo, Normal and Quiet overclocking modes and it is not possibl
    to adjust their parameters. The user adjustable Default, User 1, Use
    2 and User 3 modes are fine as you can adjust the settings. S
    obviously an incompatability with the EE there also

    Given your undoubtably greater knowledge and superior wisdom maybe yo
    can shed some light as to what is going on!

    Regards as ever

    Nei

    pcpilot, Nov 8, 2005
  7. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Ah, that's infinitely cooler. I was being a little cute earlier
    based on the the knowledge that a large online supplier to which
    have close links recently told me that they'd sold one (yep, uno, un
    of these processors (at full retail) since they first got 'em in! A
    such, you're a member of a pretty exclusive club

    Exclusive moi!!............more like reclusive :) All is no
    clear.....no twas not me paying full retail price (£700 - £850
    believe) on one.....as bankrupt stock at just over £300 I di
    consider it worth a punt though :D
    in the Softmenu/Guru? Have you left it all on Auto, or configured th
    FSB strapping/memory bus multipliers/bus locking etc. manually

    Can confirm that the CPU has been configured in the BIOS (Soft Menu
    as Auto - Abit state that P4 3.73 EE is fully supported from BIO
    23....I have 24 - so I kind of considered their Auto setting woul
    offer superior initial stability. The only manual adjustment (a
    Crucial's suggestion) is to set DDR2V to 2.1V from BIOS's 1.8V
    the other connectors on the motherboard

    Both drives have been assigned to the other SATA connectors with th
    same result (depending upon BIOS SATA mode which assigns certai
    ports - under enhanced mode this is not an issue as up to 6 drives
    mixed 2 X IDE, 4 X SATA can be run). The most interesting swap wa
    when it did boot past 75 POST but not recognise the 2nd drive (befor
    BIOS CMOS reset) I swapped the ports about and it booted to the 2n
    Drive until it could not find the OS! This time BIOS could not se
    the 1st OS installed drive at all so I quess it is kind o
    consistant
    the option to do so

    In my previous post I have included the observations from my processo
    swap yesterday....guess you might have missed it
    1066MHz FSB flag confusing the clock generator, with the result tha
    the SATA bus starts to run out of spec and causes that drive t

    Does this indicate a problem with my BIOS settings? or fault withi
    the CPU? or Motherboard? or else BIOS 24 instruction set
    of the P4EE causing the +12v line to fluctuate

    Does this indicate a problem with the BIOS 24 instruction set? Is thi
    +12v line regulated by the motherboard or are we talking a PSU issue
    BTW PSU is Enermax Noise Taker 2.0 600W - EG701AX-VE (W) SFM

    Once again thanks a million for your continued assistance

    Regards

    Nei

    pcpilot, Nov 9, 2005
  8. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Richard, some further info now that I have had time to gather my
    thoughts....

    Thought I would check on the voltage supply to the +12v line though
    Abit's temp/voltage monitoring utility Abit EQ.

    The +12v line is certainly delivering above 12v
    (12.23...12.18...12.29) even running with the CPU overclocked happily
    at 4.20GHz (FSB slider in O/C Guru set to 300 MHz).

    Interestingly, Abit HQ are considering similar lines to you as their
    1st reponse back to Abit UK was to suggest a Power Supply issue. This
    we consider unlikely as EQ suggests constant supply in excess of 12v
    and given that the PSU is a 600W Enermax built for the Prescott
    series CPU's.

    If I have misinterpreted your comments please advise :eek:

    Thanks,

    Neil

    pcpilot, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Heheheheh, trying to collate the information in your posts is a little
    challenging! :-D
    Yep, once I knew what PSU you were using I wouldn't have expected anything
    else. The consistency of the +12v supply tends to mitigate any power supply
    related issues, although some of the other diagnostic processes we're going
    to run may cut across possible causes in this area.
    No you're on the money so far. Right, previous posts...
    Well there's a thing. Shame on Abit for not originally suggesting this as a
    diagnostic step. Good that you tried it - narrows down the areas of
    interest.

    Okay, now we know where we're at with the processor, these are the next
    things to check as I see it:

    Firstly, I would try manually specifying all the CPU parameters in Guru -
    including the FSB strapping, PCIe/AGP/PCI bus locking.

    If that doesn't make any difference to the oddities, try downclocking the
    processor to 200MHz FSB, and manually setting it as an 800FSB CPU, keeping
    the buses locked, and monitoring the system's behaviour.

    In addition, you say that both the disks are Maxtor DiamondMax drives. Are
    they from exactly the same model range (i.e. is the only different in the
    model number the capacity), or are they from different ranges?

    If they are from the same range, it might also be informative to know
    whether they have the same firmware revision installed.

    It could yet be that the cause is a glitch in the motherboard's BIOS, and if
    so hopefully switching to manual CPU parameters may cure it. Either way, I
    think we're heading in the right direction. Keep the faith!

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 9, 2005
  10. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Hi Richard......still keeping the faith :D
    drives. Are they from exactly the same model range (i.e. is the only
    different in the model number the capacity), or are they from
    different ranges?
    Yes both drives are from the same range differing only in capacity and
    buffer size (the 200GB is 8M where as the 300 is 16M).

    Both drives have identical firmware BANC1B10.

    Found the following thread (and posted) on another forum is this what
    you were thinking?
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18228-pg1.html&pp=20
    this as a diagnostic step. Good that you tried it - narrows down the
    areas of interest.

    Abit now on the case and have sent info to Tiawan re possible BIOS
    problem.
    Guru - including the FSB strapping, PCIe/AGP/PCI bus locking.
    keeping the buses locked, and monitoring the system's behaviour.

    At risk of appearing completely stupid :eek: might you suggest some
    appropriate parameters as I am not eau fait with the various settings
    obviously aware of the need to keep DDR2, PCI Express etc. in ratio.

    Gosh it seems I learn more and more about these new fangled
    tripewriters with every post :D

    pcpilot, Nov 10, 2005
  11. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    pcpilot, Nov 10, 2005
  12. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Hi Richard,
    Guru - including the FSB strapping, PCIe/AGP/PCI bus locking.
    downclocking the processor to 200MHz FSB, and manually setting it as
    an 800FSB CPU, keeping the buses locked, and monitoring the system's
    behaviour.

    Have now tried some of these parameters, adjusting the External Clock
    (Up to 275 down to 200), the N/B Strap CPU as (PSB1066 &
    PSB800).

    Downclocking to 200MHz FSB on the External Clock setting with 800PSB
    on the N/B Strap CPU as, sees the drives on cold boot.

    This at least offers at least a temporary workaround to having to
    reset CMOS each time the PC is powered off.

    Will continue to experiment with these parameters next week. Any
    suggestions as to further settings/settings for PCI/PCI EXpress
    Clock??

    Any thoughts on the Maxtor issue reported in my last post?

    Thanks again..........

    Neil

    pcpilot, Nov 12, 2005
  13. pcpilot

    pcpilot Guest

    Calling Richard Hopkins.............

    Hi Richard,

    Guess you have not had a chance to reply to my earlier post, just
    wondering if you might have any further thoughts on the above and any
    other clues??

    To Update you since your last response on 7th Nov, Abit have tested
    the board with a 3.73 GHz CPU and Maxtor DiamondMax 300GB (6B300S0)
    HDD (presumably as a sole drive) and can not replicate the problem.
    They report that their HDD firmware (BANC1BMO) differs from mine
    (BANC1B10) and that I should contact Maxtor.

    Maxtor have responded that both hard drives have their latest firmware
    on them, so firmware is not the issue here.
    also not sure what it may have done to the hard drive or where the
    error really lies. I will suggest that get in touch with the
    Manufacturer of the processor for more information.

    Not much help there!!! When pursued the following response was added
    hard drive(s) are faulty, they would not have worked on the old
    processor. If this is REALLY firmware issue, then the hard drives
    should not have performed fine with the old processor. I hope you
    understand my point of view.
    controllers, they are detected as well. This open up another probable
    issue between the new processor and the motherboard.
    and explain every issue to them

    Abit are trying to assist I feel, Maxtor seem to be 'passing the buck'
    your assistance would be greatly appreciated when you have a few
    moments.

    Thanks in advance,

    Neil

    pcpilot, Nov 21, 2005