system hotter than cpu

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by EzAk, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. EzAk

    EzAk Guest

    ok whats the deal here:

    bios stats
    system temp: 46c/114f
    cpu surface temp: 38c/100f
    cpu core temp: 42c/107f

    hardware doctor
    system 46
    cpu 38.00 - 38.50

    system is:
    Zalman cnps 7000A-Cu *copper*
    Barton 2500+ WEEK 33 (unlocked)
    3200 ddr 400 512
    ATI 9800 PRO 128mb
    60gb Maxtor
    160gb Maxtor
    Plexwriter (12X1032) AND (52X32X52)
    NSpire 300w
    Chen Ming ATX-601 AE case

    EzAk, Dec 17, 2003

  2. EzAk

    ElJerid Guest

    There is a problem with your case ventilation. Are there any fans in it?
    The two hard disks plus the 9800 Pro dissipate a lot of heat that has to be
    extracted. You should have one or two fans blowing into the case and one on
    top of the psu fan(s) extracting the hot air from the case.

    ElJerid, Dec 17, 2003

  3. EzAk

    joef Guest

    My sysoft sandra confuses the system and cpu readings - ie they're swapped.
    Could be your problem. Does the system temp rise quickly from cold? This
    might indicate same thing happening.

    joef, Dec 17, 2003
  4. EzAk

    EzAk Guest

    i have 3 case fans blowing in (one in front bottom 2 in back and the
    case side off with these temps

    EzAk, Dec 17, 2003
  5. EzAk

    Roger M Guest

    My system and cpu temperature was hotter with the side off. My system
    and cpu temperature was hotter with the fans blowing in instead of out.
    My coolest temp was achieved with all cooling fans pulling hot air out
    of the case. My core voltage is set at 1.9V and my fsb is set at 212 and
    my idle temp on the cpu is 47C with fully loaded usually going to 56 or
    so.

    Roger

    Roger M, Dec 17, 2003
  6. EzAk

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Assuming these temps are being reported correctly, can you locate the
    thermistor that measures the case temp?

    I have a similar situation when my PC is idling but that is due to the fact
    that my mobo thermistor is situated directly in the warm exhaust from the
    graphics card fan.

    ~misfit~, Dec 17, 2003
  7. EzAk

    DaveL Guest

    What motherboard do you have? It could be a bios issue of it not displaying
    the temps correctly. Maybe the system temp is actually the core temp. My
    first thought is you have something really hot right next the the system
    temp sensor, but if you have three fans that's probably unlikely. It could
    be the sensor is next to the mobo chipset and you have the FSB crank to
    overdrive and the thing is getting real hot.

    Dave

    DaveL, Dec 18, 2003
  8. EzAk

    EzAk Guest

    running no overclocking right now. mobo is ABIT AT7 MAX2 with latest
    bios update. not sure where the termistate on this board is ill have to
    try to locate it tomarrow when i have some light. thanks for all your
    help. Is there a diffrent program i can use to see if the temps are
    reversed?

    EzAk, Dec 18, 2003
  9. EzAk

    baskitcaise Guest

    Looking at the specs of this board it appears that the sys temp sensor is
    between the cpu and the northbridge, I wonder if it is picking up the hot air
    from the cpu fan?

    baskitcaise, Dec 18, 2003
  10. EzAk

    BigBadger Guest

    But the air coming off the heatsink cannot be hotter than the cpu (otherwise
    it would heat the cpu not cool it).
    The cpu must always be hotter than the case air temp (unless your water or
    Refrigeration cooling or such like)

    BigBadger, Dec 18, 2003
  11. EzAk

    dmac Guest

    I dropped 2 degrees f by having the case removed on back side of MB. the
    other side left on with a fan attached and blowing out. tends to suck the
    cooler air in and around better that way I guess.

    dmac, Dec 18, 2003
  12. EzAk

    Skid Guest

    Listen to the Badger. In an air-cooled system the cpu is always going to be
    hotter than the air around it.

    This appears to be a situation where the case and system temps are reversed.
    46C is about right for the cpu. 38C is a little high for the case, but it's
    not unheard of.

    I'd suggest going into the bios (hold down the delete key on reboot,) and
    check the readings in the PC Health section. They should tell you the real
    story.

    P.S., MotherBoard Monitor 5 is free and a much more sophisticated app than
    Hardware Doctor. It's easy to set up if you use the motherboard list at
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    Skid, Dec 18, 2003
  13. EzAk

    Neil Guest

    I'd close your case, but first reverse your rear fans both to exhaust and
    leave front as an intake, may get some air movement in your case and you
    may get better case temp readings. Either way with 3 fans running as long
    as some are exhausting your case temps would not be that high or anything
    to worry about. As others have pointed out fualty temp readings or a heat
    source close to your board sensor could also cause this reading.

    Neil, Dec 18, 2003
  14. EzAk

    EzAk Guest

    changed both back fans to out front to in and side on temps change but
    no diffrents the case is still hotter than the cpu. I had this same
    setup with a valcano 9 and didnt have this problem. Is it posible that
    my cooler for the cpu is cooling the cpu and forcing the heat from the
    cpu into the case which is why the case is hotter than the cpu? i know
    its far feched but i dont know what else i could be.

    EzAk, Dec 18, 2003
  15. Have you tried taking a reading with the case open? Leave the case open for a
    few minutes, then see if the temperature decreases to normal. If not, the
    temp meter might be reporting the wrong temp for one reason or another. Also
    physically check with your hand whether the case feels abnormally warm or
    not.

    Only other thing I can think of, is the power supply blowing hot air in by
    any chance? Do you have alot of drives installed?

    --= Ö§âmâ ßíñ Këñ0ßí =--, Dec 19, 2003
  16. EzAk

    koolit Guest

    I've been trying to follow discussions about this subject because the
    same is happening to my pc. On idle it's at 39C CPU and 48C or above
    PWM temp. On full load the system temp. is still 10 degrees (or
    more) hotter than the CPU. I've been building PC's for a few years now
    and this is the first I've seen something like this. If I leave it
    running like this with the sys. temp +10 hotter than the CPU, will
    there be any damage? It is stable using prime 95 and SiS. Here's my
    rig:

    Abit KV-7
    AMD Athlon XP 1800 T-bred @ 2.31 GHz (JIUHB-DLT3C) 1.75 Volts
    11.5 X 197 FSB
    512 mb Corsair PC 3200
    Asus TD 9520 Vid Card
    Creative SB Live 5.1
    80 GB Maxtor HD
    52X CD-Rom

    koolit, Dec 19, 2003
  17. EzAk

    Chip Guest

    This *is* the problem. It is against the laws of Physics for the system
    temp to be higher than the CPU temp. (Unless he's using a pelt, or has a
    heater in the case.... which I doubt somehow.)

    Chip.

    Chip, Dec 20, 2003
  18. EzAk

    Chip Guest

    Yes it does. But its still *impossible* for the system temp to be higher
    than the CPU temp. (Assuming he's not using a peltier or similar, and
    assuming he doesn't have a heater in the case.)

    How can hot CPU blow hot air onto something else and make it *hotter*. Its
    impossible.

    The explanation is, he has his sensors the wrong way around.

    Chip.

    Chip, Dec 20, 2003
  19. My system temp is usually higher than my CPU temp.
    AMD 2100+ "B" at 2350Mhz (173.9x13.5)
    1.85 vcore
    CPU temp is 19c / System temp is 20c
    At 6:00 AM this morning the CPU temp was 15c / System 19c

    The box is closed but I have a cold air plenum feeding outside air almost
    directly to the CPU fan. The other two intake fans are room air.

    30 degree F air directly onto the CPU fan keeps it reeeeaaal cool.

    §ß©

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A7unny=DF=A9?=, Dec 20, 2003
  20. EzAk

    DaveL Guest

    That's a pretty good overclock. What stepping 2100+ do you have? Also, how
    about on rainy or foggy days? Are you concerned with humidity?

    Dave

    DaveL, Dec 20, 2003