    - 486 vintage. Any recommendations on alternative software for
    current configurations? Freeware would be nice :)

    Dave Gillingham

    Dave Gillingham, Jan 17, 2005

  2. http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de

    http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html

    Ulrich Müller, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Dave Gillingham

    Apollo Guest

    These two are what you need now;

    Memtest86 to test for memory problems that could potentially lead
    to BSOD's and disk corruption (boots from cd or floppy).

    Prime95 to test for system stability (runs in windows, linux etc.)

    http://www.memtest86.com/
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    Both freeware.

    HTH

    Apollo, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Dave Gillingham

    Kylesb Guest

    Tufftest is relatively cheap ($10) and tests many different aspects of
    mobo. I've used it for years.
    http://www.tufftest.com/

    Docmem is a free memory tester. Other posterss mentioned memtest86
    (which I like to use) and Prime95 and I agree with use of both.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Jan 18, 2005