System with X1900GT fails POST ... most of the time

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Jeff, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I've recently upgraded my GPU to a Sapphire X1900GT, and my system fails
    POST most of the time ... ~3 of 4 times. (Everything was fine with the
    Sapphire X600XT before the upgrade.) When it fails, the mobo beeps 8 times
    indicating a problem with the graphics card. When it works, it works. XP
    boots fine, and everything seems happy - particularly me.

    I RMA'd the X1900GT thinking the card was DOA. I also upgraded the PSU to an
    Enermax Liberty 500 thinking there might be a power issue. Neither helped -
    same results.

    Now I am on to the mobo. I've got Intel's Rapid BIOS Boot enabled, and I'm
    thinking that the mobo is ready to go before the X1900GT is ready, but I've
    really got no clue. I haven't tried to disable it yet, but will tonight.

    Any ideas that might help are much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    System:
    Intel 915PBLL Mobo
    Intel P4 3.2 Prescott
    2x512 Mb Corsair DDR2-533
    Enermax Liberty 500W
    Sapphire X1900GT (Viewsonic VP930b)
    1x SATA HD
    2x Optical Drives
    1x Floppy Drive

    Jeff, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    So yesterday evening, I diabled the Rapid Boot option in the BIOS, and now
    it consistantly fails POST. So, I've loaded the old X600XT back in the box
    and it works. Looks like a motherboard incompatibility problem with the
    X1900GT. I'm thinking that I'll upgrade the motherboard with something
    that'll be Core 2 Duo compatible ... and hopefully X1900GT compatible.

    Can anyone corroborate this? Suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 17, 2007