Systems with Light Peak May Hit the Market in 2011

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Intel Guy, Sep 22, 2010.

  1. Intel Guy

    Intel Guy Guest

    This is why we won't see USB-3 integrated into Intel chipsets for the
    foreseeable future...

    ------------------------------------

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/...th_Light_Peak_May_Hit_the_Market_in_2011.html

    Systems with Light Peak May Hit the Market in 2011.

    Light Peak May Become Commercial Next Year
    [09/20/2010 09:48 PM]
    by Anton Shilov

    Intel Corp. has reportedly said that components for Light Peak
    technology would be available before the end of 2010, which means that
    already in 2011 systems with the optical interconnect technology may
    emerge commercially. Still, a big question is whether Light Peak will be
    actually demanded by end-users and products next year.

    At the Intel Developer Forum last week, Intel demonstrated a laptop made
    by (made by who?) that was linked to an Avid audio processor and Western
    Digital storage system using Light Peak to handle professional media
    editing. An Intel spokesman indicated that all three devices utilized an
    Intel controller, reports EETimes web-site. The time-to-market for Light
    Peak seems to be very quick as the technology was first showcased about
    a year ago.

    "We are going after consumer and mobile platforms so we don't expect to
    have a large bump in power consumption or cost over traditional copper
    interfaces," said Robert Siegel, who manages Intel's Light Peak
    ecosystem efforts.

    At present Intel remains tight-lipped over actual suppliers of modules,
    connectors, cables designed for Light Peak. Besides, the company does
    not say any pricing estimates for the new optical interconnection.

    Even though it is possible that LightPeak, which can transfer data at
    the speeds between 10Gb/s and 100Gb/s, will hit commercial market in
    2011, it is unlikely that it will get popular. Very few devices, apart
    from external graphics cards or solid-state drives may actually need
    such speeds. At the same time, the cost of USB 3.0-enabled devices has
    been decreasing and end-users may prefer to stick with the standard that
    offers 5Gb/s maximum speed at a very low cost.

    Intel Guy, Sep 22, 2010

  2. Intel Guy

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    It's yet another Intel marketing campaign, trying to force the market to
    a technology it's not ready for yet. No different than RDRAM, Itanium,
    or the various other in-house science projects turned marketing campaigns.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 23, 2010

  3. Intel Guy

    Robert Myers Guest

    Clearly, this calls for a UN Cirimes Against Humantity Tribunal. I'm
    tired of moral complexity and ambiguity, like so many other good, red-
    blooded Americans.

    So long as we are pursuing moral absolutes that make life easier for
    me and correspond to my prejudices, I can suggest several places
    where even more UAV stikes would make the world a better, safer place
    for opinionated moralists. Email me privately if you'd like
    suggestions for how many more tons I think we should deliver each
    month.

    Get a grip, will you?

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Sep 29, 2010
  4. Intel Guy

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    I think that's mainly aimed at you yourself.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 29, 2010
  5. Intel Guy

    Robert Myers Guest

    You may have a point. The best strategy for me would be to recognize
    that you long ago decided that this is a good venue for airing your
    own sense of morality and (in)justice, and there is no point even in
    reacting any more.

    Robert.

    Robert Myers, Sep 30, 2010
  6. Intel Guy

    Captainbob

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2010
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Princeton, MN, USA
    Light Peak

    Okay, just thought I'd throw in my .02 here...

    Light Peak on its face sounds like a good thing. It sounds better and faster. I'm all for better and faster. I don't blame Intel for concentrating its efforts on what might be the next big thing... However, hopefully they studied Apple and their Firewire before they decided to do what they are doing... I remember Firewire 400 being the "next big thing" back in 2000-2001, it was faster than USB 1.1, and was available on many computers, I have an old HP from 2001 that came new with USB 1.1 and Firewire 400. Firewire, even though it was faster, never really seemed to catch on, even after Firewire 800 came out--try finding a Firewire flash drive or external drive, or Firewire anything--even Apple seems to have dropped it, most of the newer Apple computers don't have Firewire ports on them.

    I'm sensing some negativity here towards Intel on this, "forcing the market"...Well, the market will decide if Light Peak is the cat's meow or not. If you don't like it, don't buy Intel, it's that simple. It is not like you can't get full true USB 3.0 right now, I just bought an Asrock AMD motherboard with the 880G chipset that has full USB 3.0. There are a few boards out there now that claim "true USB 3.0", even Intel boards, they do it via the PCIe lanes. It may cut in on your graphics card bandwidth, especially if you are running dual cards, you would have to get a bigger board with more PCIe lanes if you really want/need full performance out of everything, more $$$$…If people don't like it, for whatever reason, Light Peak will go the way of Apple's Firewire and Intel will make chipsets with USB 3.0 capability if they know what’s good for them.

    Even USB 3.0 doesn’t seem to be catching on that much right now. It has been available for more than a year now, yet I am not seeing that many USB 3.0 devices around, or computers available with USB 3.0 ports. I had to look like crazy to find a flash drive. I recently bought one made by Super Talent, it works great, takes minutes to back up about 13gb of data that seemed to take hours with USB 2.0. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, but I am not seeing it catching on that much myself.

    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    Captainbob, Oct 6, 2010
  7. Bubble memory, the 432 CPU, the BTX motherboard... Intel offers new tech and
    sometimes people find it useful, sometimes not. What's the objection to that?
    Intel moved SMT from RISC and servers to mass market, and as applications gain
    threads to use multi-core, they benefit from hyperthreading. AMD is going with a
    variant of SMT with a whole extra integer CPU on chip. Time will tell if that is
    better. Lots of lab stuff offered, the useful stays on the market. I don't see
    any "force," it may be ahead of its time.

    I think USB3 is going to get lots of use, because the mobo and the peripheral
    can be upgraded from USB2 in any order, and because many things aren't speed
    limited by the bus now.

    Faster than USB3 is like SATA-6, the majority of system don't benefit.

    Bill Davidsen, Oct 7, 2010