    I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can afford to
    upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

    Soupladel

    Soupladel, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Soupladel

    Stacey Guest

    Keep saving, you'll see almost no difference.

    Stacey, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Here's a better option if you care to overclock.
    Unlock your 1GHz Athlon - close the L1 bridges (lots of articles on the
    web).
    Set your multiplier up from 10 (assuming you are now at 10 x 100) in
    increments of 1, testing for stability.
    You should be able to achieve at least 1.2GHz, maybe 1.3GHZ. Either is
    better than a 1.3GHz Duron.
    Caveats: This assumes your motherboard supports multiplier changes.
    Overclocking is at your own risk.

    Peter van der Goes, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Soupladel

    Wes Newell Guest

    You aren't limited to what you think. See sig. See link.

    Wes Newell, Jun 25, 2003
  5. Soupladel

    Soupladel Guest

    what is the multiplier default for an Athlon XP 2000+ ?

    I'd be quite happy to get one of these chips as long as i Don't have to go
    messing about with bridges on the chip, but of course if all models are
    locked at 10.5 muliplier then i would't really have much use for one!

    Soupladel

    Soupladel, Jun 25, 2003
  6. Soupladel

    Wes Newell Guest

    12.5. Not high enough for the upper multipliers to work. A 2100+ Tbred B
    core will just drop right in and default to 20x100 (2000MHz).
    2100+ Tbred B core is plug and play. But it has to be a B core tbred. A
    Palomino is locked and will boot at 13x100, and a Tbred A core will try
    ansd boot at 20x100 but won't run that fast.

    Wes Newell, Jun 25, 2003