T43 recovery

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Mike Y, Mar 28, 2013.

  1. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    I have a 60G drive in my T43. I bought a Samsung 150G drive and wanted to
    convert over to it.

    I'm running the WinXP

    I can't get it over.

    I've tried multiple backup and recovery products, even paid for two of them.
    They all SAY they converted to the new drive but it hangs in boot.

    I reinstalled the system recovery and it does the same thing.

    I do the 'Access IBM' trick and save everything to an 80G USB drive. Then
    swap the internal drive and do the recovery of all.

    It ALWAYS starts to boot and hangs with a flashing cursor.

    I THINK it's something in the boot track, after the first sector and before
    the first partition that either isn't copied or is copied incorrectly (maybe
    getting clobbered like what SystemSoft used to do when you said 'compact
    format' on PCMCIA ATA drives.)

    Anyway, I'm almost out of space on my 60G.

    Any ideas?

    Mike (dadsaskier at charter dot net)

    Mike Y, Mar 28, 2013

  2. Mike Y

    lol Guest

    If you do get it going do please post back and let us know - along with
    details of exactly which sansung 150 drive you bought.
    But you say backup and recovery products? - surely you should be booting
    from a CD in that case, shouldn't you?
    Do you mean Acronis? I always found Acronis backup worked fine when i booted
    from the Acronis CD and ran it from there, but it wouldn't work from an
    installed copy of the program...
    Lol

    lol, Apr 9, 2013

  3. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wow! Sorry dude, I haven't checked here for a while.

    I've done this multiple times with various TPs and HDDs and have what is a
    fool-proof method - at least for me.

    I use Acronis True Image 11. When it's installed on a machine you can make a
    bootable CD - do that. Then - and here's the secret - put your 'old' HDD
    into a USB enclosure, the new HDD into the HDD bay and boot from the CD.
    Follow the instructions for cloning a HDD. If you have more than one
    partition you can do one of three things; Clone them as they are (leaving
    unpartitioned free space after them - assuming the new HDD is bigger), clone
    them proportionally (so, if the new HDD's twice as big then the partitions
    will all be twice as big) or, the option I use, custom size. You specify
    what sizes you want.

    The big secret here (that I've not found in support literature or elsewhere)
    is to have the old HDD in the enclosure and the new one in the bay. If you
    do it the other way around (or even both in enclosures) it won't boot,
    you'll get that flashing cursor.

    Good luck (if I'm not too late). It works every time for me as long as it's
    done as I specified.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2013
  4. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    Thanks! I will give that a try!

    Just got back from Utah, so I'm wasted out right now. Was there 11 days
    skiing.

    I'll have to check and see which version of Acronis I have

    Mike

    Mike Y, Apr 23, 2013
  5. Mike Y

    Mike Y Guest

    Ok, here's how far I got. But you can probably tell from my tone I have
    been unsuccessful so far.

    First I make a thumb drive and made that my bootable recovery. It wouldn't
    boot with Acronis 2009 Home edition (complete version)

    So I burnt a CD.

    I tried putting the new target drive in the laptop and put the original
    drive on an IDE USB cable. The unit would boot to a blue Acronis screen
    that let me select Windows or Acronis. When I selected Acronis, it cleared
    to a black screen and put Acronis with a colored arc in the upper left
    corner of the screen and hangs. Pretty much forever.

    If I left the original drive in the laptop and put the new larger drive on
    the IDE USB cable, procedes as above but then puts a few lines of text below
    the image and then brings up the screen that eventually lets me clone the
    disk. But once I clone a drive, the drive hangs on boot like it did before.

    All is not happy in mudville.

    Mike

    Mike Y, Apr 27, 2013
  6. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My version is older I think? TI Home, Version 11.0 (build 8,027). Yeah, 2007
    I think. I've never managed to get a USB stick to boot with it.
    That's what I do.
    Bugger! I've had it hang a few times but always ultimately have got it to
    work as I described (and I've used it to clone ThinkPads from R40 through to
    my T60 as well as my various desktops... Since 2007 I guess). I must have
    used mine to clone to another disc 20 times by now and I make images every
    few months and save the image to an external.
    No, I've *never* had it work doing it that way. IME the target drive *must*
    be in situ, in the place it's going to boot from.
    Sorry to hear it Mike. I know it's a pain but maybe try again - a few times?
    Try a different USB 'cable' perhaps as I have an external enclosure that
    won't work with ATI and another that only works sometimes. Of course I use
    the one that's reliable now - I think it's a USB -> IDE chipset issue. If
    your version of TI clones *to* the USB then it must detect it on some level?

    Sorry buddy that's all I have. As my set up works for me I've not looked
    elsewhere.

    ~misfit~, May 1, 2013
  7. Mike Y

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Are you still here Mike? Still same problem?

    Another thing I've done but forgot to mention (damn meds!) is make a full
    backup to a USB storage device, then fit a new drive, boot from CD and
    'restore' onto the new disk.

    That works for me too, I did it first when I wanted to sell a laptop, it
    didn't currently have HDD but I wasn't getting enough for it to put a new
    one in. So I did the above with a 40GB HDD to 'free it up' and ordered a new
    160GB for that machine. Put the 40GB in the one I was selling and, when the
    160 arrived, restored the backup onto it.

    I know it's late, I thought of it the other week, then forgot to post......

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2013