    did not see it, and so it could not unlock the drive.

    Suppose I buy an e-sata xpresscard, or pata drive bay caddy. Will the
    bios be able to detect the drive, and submit an ATA password?

    Fritz Wuehler, Jan 22, 2014

  2. Fritz Wuehler

    Joe Guest

    Hi,

    I think we spoke on IRC about this. I forgot to ask a few questions of this is the case:

    1. Is this a boot drive (carrying an operating system) or is it just an external drive you
    use to cart files around?

    2. Can you provide the manufacturer/vendor id info from lsusb on the drive. This might come
    in useful. hdparm may not be aware of how to deal with the drive.

    I couldn't remember if you had any luck issuing unlock commands with hdparm --security-unlock. I just
    remembered I know someone who might be able to give a true answer. I'll ping him tomorrow and update
    this post.

    Joe

    Joe, Jan 29, 2014

  3. Fritz Wuehler

    Anonymous Guest

    1. Is this a boot drive (carrying an operating system) or is it
    It's been a while since I tried to get it to work. I don't recall if
    the drive was bootable (it probably was), but certainly my intent was
    not to boot from it. I merely wanted to be able to read and write to
    the external drive.
    I'll have to get back to you with better answers after making a second
    attempt. ATM, I only recall that the drive is Hitachi.
    I don't recall what all I tried with hdparm.. but certainly it did not
    end successfully. Thanks for the help Joe. I'll post back after I
    try this again.

    Anonymous, Feb 26, 2014
  4. To fix: In BIOS setup change the SATA setting from AHCI to Compatibility.

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 26, 2014
  5. Fritz Wuehler

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ....will not effect USB attached HDDs.
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Feb 26, 2014
  6. It most certainly does.

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 26, 2014
  7. Fritz Wuehler

    Joe Guest

    I do not think it does, pretty certain it does not.

    Joe, Mar 2, 2014
  8. It does not affect access though Windows but it does affect access by BIOS.
    So if I wish to restore a partition from a USB drive to my X60s using a boot
    from a Drive Image CD then SATA in compatibility mode is essential or else
    the USB drive is invisible.

    Is your certainty based upon theory or your own practical experience?

    Anthony R. Gold, Mar 2, 2014
  9. Fritz Wuehler

    Joe Guest

    Theory.

    I am surprised they implemented that in BIOS. Considering the inconsistency of
    USB device bridges, I would not assume the bios could unlock a USB drive. That
    or it would be hit and miss at best depending on the bridge used.

    Is yours based on practical experience?

    In any case, I guess we'll find out after he tries.

    Joe, Mar 3, 2014
  10. I described my experience with Drive Image and my several X60s's.

    Anthony R. Gold, Mar 3, 2014
  11. Fritz Wuehler

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Confrontational much?

    I have many times 'installed' Windows on T60s using an Acronis image from an
    external (USB - SATA) HDD on to an unformatted internal SATA HDD with the
    BIOS set to AHCI.

    (I support several of them having bought a dozen or so ex-lease for use by
    family members - if they have issues with malware they know that the only
    support I provide in that instance is to wipe the drive from a flash drive,
    then put a clean image back on).

    I haven't tried with a T*61* as I don't have one here (and never will, I
    don't like them). However I just tried it using an R61 (which uses the same
    planar as the T61) and the external USB / SATA HDD is recognised in BIOS
    when it's set to AHCI.

    Does that answer your question?

    ~misfit~, Mar 4, 2014
  12. Fritz Wuehler

    Joe Guest

    It actually doesn't since we were talking about encrypted opal drives.

    :-\

    Joe

    Joe, Mar 5, 2014
  13. Fritz Wuehler

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, I didn't think that the AHCI thing would help you at all Joe - my reply
    was to Anthony.

    I'm sorry, I don't have a possible answer for you. :(

    ~misfit~, Mar 6, 2014
  14. Fritz Wuehler

    Anonymous Guest

    To fix: In BIOS setup change the SATA setting from AHCI to Compatibility.

    I just repeated the tests, and used both AHCI and Compatibility mode
    for each test. It made no difference.

    The factory OPAL drive with the t61 is model hts22016k9sa00. I put it
    in the factory configuration (that is, on the internal SATA bus) in
    order to set the password. I set the password then I rebooted and of
    course it booted fine (as this is the normal factory config).

    Then I pulled the drive and usb-attached it. Unfortunately the BIOS
    did not ask for a password, and so it did not boot. Message was "No
    Operating System". That was just for academic interest.. I don't
    actually need the USB-attached OPAL drive to boot.

    So then I booted the latest Ubuntu live. Ran

    "sudo hdparm --security-unlock 1234 /dev/sda"

    and got "Input/Output Error".

    GNU/linux is a failure with OPAL drives. The BIOS is the sole means
    to unlock an OPAL drive. So my original question still stands: will
    the BIOS recognize an OPAL drive if it's in the PATA caddy (using the
    factory PATA bus), or an external e-sata interface? I still need the
    answer to this before spending money.

    Anonymous, Mar 11, 2014
  15. Fritz Wuehler, Apr 22, 2014
  16. Fritz Wuehler, Apr 23, 2014