    later it seems to be gone and "Add to dictionary" is again offered.

    Is this a malfunction or am I not using this feature correctly? A nearby
    option is "Recognize as" and I don't know what that does.

    Mickey Segal, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Yes, you're correct, Mickey. We've seen this issue before, several months
    back. The solution is, if you use speech to add the word via that
    dictionary (they end up the same place) or use the Dictionary Tool for
    Tablet PC (unsupported PowerToy):
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/tabletpc.mspx . The
    issue has been reported to Microsoft, but I haven't heard anything back yet.
    8-(

    Chris H., Jun 1, 2005

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Thanks. I waited until I'd seen this a few times to make sure it was not
    another mirage like the impression some of us had of text changing when
    closing the TIP.

    This sounds like a pretty easy problem to fix. I would imagine it will be
    in the next update with other Tablet-specific changes.

    Mickey Segal, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Surprisingly, when I used the Dictionary PowerToy it said the word was
    already there. Do I need to wait for it to disappear again and then add it
    using the Dictionary PowerToy?

    This bug is starting to seem less easy to fix.

    Mickey Segal, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Or before. Not that I know anything, but I'm hoping when they issue the
    "memory leak" fix, we may also see this. I'm not so sure they're close
    enough in relationship to be in the same package, however. 8-(
    Fortunately, the Dictionary Tool works really well for a PowerToys offering,
    and it isn't flakey at all.

    Chris H., Jun 2, 2005
  6. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    I believe you need to restart your system to have it take affect.

    Chris H., Jun 2, 2005
  7. Curious. The ones that are "easy" to fix, get fixes; but if they're too hard
    or too mysterious, it's a case of a "mirage" that unrelated and disparate
    users must be having (Microsoft. Technical Support Manual; How to Burry a
    Problem, vol. 39. Seattle: Microsoft Press, 2005).

    Mike J Schindler, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Huh? Perhaps whatever source you're citing (1) can't spell and (2) doesn't
    understand software. :cool: I know how much time and effort is being put into
    reaching a solution on the "memory leak" issue. I sort of drive the folks
    at Microsoft crazy asking for progress reports. However, a "fix" sometimes
    breaks other things, as it did in the case of the leak. I look for a final
    resolution pretty soon.

    On other issues, sometimes it is obvious there's a issue, however there may
    be something already on the burner for "down the road" which includes a
    solution, or perhaps there aren't that many people affected by the problem,
    or perhaps the fix will break more than it repairs.

    Chris H., Jun 2, 2005
  9. Mickey Segal

    James Gockel Guest

    Chris, I don't know if i've experienced the memory leak myself..
    What all happens with this leak? Maybe i just havent been paying close
    attention.
    -James

    James Gockel, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Well-documented in previous posts going back to last Fall here, James: the
    system becomes sluggish with a lot of Ink usage and no restarts. Normally,
    at some point during the day, "normal users" may shut down or restart their
    systems for various reasons. That restarts the tcsever which may have run
    up as high as 100% CPU usage.

    Those who have heavy Ink usage, and go days without restarts may experience
    this problem. Those who are running 256 MB of RAM will probably see the
    issue way before someone running 1 GB, under the same usage patterns.

    Chris H., Jun 3, 2005