Tablet PCs, tablet devices and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by stuart, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. stuart

    stuart Guest

    Dear microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc,

    How're things?

    I'm hoping that someone(s) will be able to confirm (or refute) some
    observations I've made in investigating the use of MS digital inking
    functions for 'handwriting' annotation of Word documents.

    Under Win XP, you need a Tablet PC for native support of MS ink
    functions in MS Office applications (i.e., MS Word).

    Under Win XP, to use an external tablet device, you would need some
    third-party software to use MS ink functions in MS Office
    applications.

    Under Win Vista (and Win 7), MS ink functions were extended to support
    the use of an external tablet device as the pen input, and both a
    Tablet PC and external tablet device can be used for native support of
    MS ink functions in MS Office applications.

    Can anyone please confirm I'm on the right track?

    Regards, Stuart Palmer

    stuart, Nov 25, 2009

  2. stuart

    Invalid Guest

    In message
    As far as I know (I have used a tablet PC with all three OS's) your
    observation is correct - with one (somewhat pedantic) correction.

    You don't need a TabletPC under XP to use inking. What you need is the
    Tablet version of the XP OS. If you have a copy of that version
    installed then a supported (Wacom are, I don't know about others)
    external tablet device will support MS ink on any machine. In fact you
    can ink on such a machine using a mouse.

    However in that the Tablet version of XP was only available for sale
    under OEM T's and C's (which theoretically prevent its use with any
    other machine) on a TabletPC your observations fit the facts.

    Regards

    Invalid, Nov 25, 2009

  3. There are some handwriting extensions within native XP that can be used
    with an external tablet... requires downloading, but many of the pieces
    are already part of XP Pro...

    I used these before my first tablet to get some idea of the handwriting
    possibilities using a cheap input tablet

    ....the best route I have found to get to the setup and downloads is to
    use the windows help (start/help) and search on the words handwriting
    and ink.

    hth,
    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Nov 25, 2009