    only would be sufficient. Which OS could I use for this?
    Thanks for yout help!

    Ingo

    Ingo Soetebier, Mar 18, 2012

  2. Sure, any drive around that time frame would be on that order of size
    in that form factor. This is well before the drive sizes exploded like
    we have today. Why not just run it with an external drive? It isn't
    like a SparcBook is all that portable anyway? (even back then they were
    pretty chunky?)

    You probably should read up on the FAQ..

    http://www.unixhub.com/SB-FAQ.html

    Even so, you are running pretty lean for disk space, and as you said
    X11/OpenWindows would probably be out. I'd start out with Solaris 1.1.2
    on the device. (aka SunOS 4.1.4)

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 18, 2012

  3. Or NetBSD.

    Volker Borchert, Mar 18, 2012
  4. Ingo Soetebier

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    And, in case you don't know -- the external SCSI connector is
    one of the two grid shaped connectors. I forget what the other one
    does. But this same connector was once used in some Macs as well (I
    suspect in their early laptops), and I was lucky enough to find one
    being closed out when I got my SparcBook several years ago.

    Once I got it running, I didn't bother much with it, because it
    had way too little run time on the batteries which I had for it. (It
    would just barely get Solaris 2.6 booted before it would run out of
    charge. :)
    Note that the URL for the manual has changed. You need to go to

    /support/SPARC_Systems/<system-name>

    There sre several flavors of Bullfrog, Legacy, Sparcbook5000_6500,
    Viper, and VM2100s_VR2100s.

    I guess that it is either Legacy/Sparcbook3_3000 or
    Legacy/Sparcbook_Plus.

    Hmm ... none of the ones which I just downloaded are right.

    I found some solid state disks which could fit it, but they were
    more than I would pay for a whole system, *new*. :)
    That is the better choice.

    Or -- perhaps you can bring up OpenBSD on it. It is a pretty
    lean (and quite secure) system.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Mar 18, 2012