    There is a download link for Tails in the article. Anyone here have any
    experience with it? I wonder if you could install Tails in a virtual
    machine on a Mac and achieve anonymity and security that way.

    Fred Moore, Apr 29, 2014

  2. Fred Moore

    Warren Oates Guest

    Well, it seems well-documented:

    https://tails.boum.org/

    You could try it out. Tor isn't your best friend in the world, by the
    way.

    Warren Oates, Apr 29, 2014

  3. Fred Moore

    Your Name Guest

    You can't be anonymous on the Internet - it's a physical impossiblity,
    no matter what many companies like proxy servers try to tell you.
    Anyone worried about it is either a looney tin-foil hat wearer or is
    doing something that SHOULD be discovered.

    Your Name, Apr 29, 2014
  4. Fred Moore

    Tom Stiller Guest

    You can install Tails on a virtual machine on a Mac but be advised that
    anonymity and security will depend on where you visit and how you interact
    with those sites.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 29, 2014
  5. Fred Moore

    Warren Oates Guest

    Yeah yeah. And Adam and Eve lived among the dinosaurs ...

    Warren Oates, Apr 30, 2014
  6. Fred Moore

    Your Name Guest

    Nope. Adma and Eve are just figments of some con artist's imagination
    written into a fantasy novel to start another silly religion so they
    could steal other people's money and possesions.

    Your Name, Apr 30, 2014
  7. Fred Moore

    JF Mezei Guest

    You got it all wrong. Space aliens came to visit earth. Husband in space
    ship find his wife (Eve) cheating with anothert crew member (Adam) and
    ejects them from space ship and leaves them on Earth to survive alone.

    The horny couple end up mating with chimps and gave them the missing
    link which caused them to start talking. (If you want proof, there have
    been a few documentaries about talking chimps that rule the world).
    Evolution then gave us the current species of lawyers and politicians
    who descended directly from those talking apes.

    They only put that story in old testament so they could get film rights
    for Charlston Heston who felt very strongly that every american should
    be armed to the hilt to combat those talking apes (seems he was
    traumatized by that experience).

    JF Mezei, Apr 30, 2014
  8. Fred Moore

    Your Name Guest

    Lawyers and politicians are descended directly from pond scum, but
    haven't actually evolved any further.

    That's because he had his brain whipped to a mush during the chariot
    race.

    Your Name, Apr 30, 2014
  9. Fred Moore

    Guest

    The guy's a complete idiot. Tails worked well for Ed Snowden,
    just as TrueCrypt withstood a year of the American FBI beating
    on it.

    Billy Y..

    , Apr 30, 2014
  10. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    That may defeat the purpose - at least with Fusion - since it uses the
    Mac's ethernet services to access the network and web. I had the same
    thought and I found some blog entries claiming that running Tails in a
    VM would be self defeating. At least for anonymity. You could run it
    there to learn about it. I haven't but it's in my curiosity queue.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  11. Fred Moore

    Fred Moore Guest

    Thanks, Alan. That's the kind of info I was looking for but didn't
    really know enough about the topic to Google for an answer. I had a
    suspicion that somehow somewhere something from the Tails VM would get
    written to a Mac cache, var file, or whatever, thus defeating the
    purpose of the entire effort. So I suppose a dedicated piece of hardware
    is really what's necessary.

    I noticed on Macintouch today that a new version of Tor is available,
    with a Mac variant. Exactly how much benefit is there in running that on
    a Mac without an underlying OS such as Tails? What sort of identifiers
    get left behind to track you? Thanks.

    Fred Moore, Apr 30, 2014
  12. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    Tor does not need you to be too careful about what you do. You're onion
    wrapped and tossed computer to computer to computer with encryption
    layers between each, each hiding IP addresses a layer away in each
    direction and then erasing all info after each session (servers and
    within your client). Tracing you would be extremely difficult and
    require international cooperation of incredible complexity. Tor is more
    for the home or office user who doesn't care what is on his system - he
    just doesn't want an intercept to occur in the middle.

    Tails is more about leaving no trace on the computer you're using. If
    your computer is seized, nothing will have been written to disk (caches,
    history, files, etc.). In the end you are not possessing compromising
    material. Not even encrypted material that might get "the authorities"
    to ask what's in that encrypted file. This is why some journalists use
    tails. They can write their story and send it (encrypted) and there is
    no copy or version of it on the machine they have in possession.
    Anything intercepted is very well encrypted and not likely to be decoded
    other than by rubber hose. Put it in a VM and you can't tell what may
    be recorded on the host OS side.

    I tried Tor sometime last year and found it to be very slow to load
    whatever page I was interested in. I don't think that's the
    application's fault but a consequence of the chain of intermediary
    computers/networks (onion layers) in the chain.

    I'm trying Tor as I write this, latest v. and yep, it's not nimble nor
    quick. But it does seem faster than last time I tried it.

    Loaded cbc.ca
    le figaro (French newspaper)
    gmail - forced to authenticate using a 6 digit number sent
    by text message to my phone.

    Performance is not too bad. But I recall in the past sessions where it
    was slower or varying. I'll try it more over the next while for the
    hell of it. Tails is something for another day.

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  13. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    And, (I forgot to mention,) it forces you through Tor in any case.

    If

    Alan Browne, Apr 30, 2014
  14. Fred Moore

    JF Mezei Guest

    Leaving no trace on computer: perhaps base all browser and temp files on
    a RAM disk. You only save to iron disk files that are not compromising.

    JF Mezei, Apr 30, 2014
  15. Fred Moore

    Fred Moore Guest

    Here is another possible privacy weapon from the EFF, Privacy Badger.
    Obviously much more limited in scope than Tails or Tor.

    EFF “Privacy Badger” plugin aimed at forcing websites to stop tracking users
    <http://arstechnica.com/information-...-at-forcing-websites-to-stop-tracking-users/>

    Still in alpha and no Safari version unfortunately. The article also
    mentions the HTTPS Everywhere extension which might be useful, but again
    no Safari version.

    Fred Moore, May 2, 2014
  16. Fred Moore

    Lewis Guest

    You are completely 100% wrong.

    Lewis, May 2, 2014
  17. Fred Moore

    Your Name Guest

    Even *if* that actually worked, you're still "tracked" by numerous
    other methods, including your ISP connection.

    Anyone who believes they're anonymous when using the Internet is an
    idiot.

    Your Name, May 3, 2014
  18. Fred Moore

    Warren Oates Guest

    We're talking about _serious_ anonymity here, not just posting to Usenet
    or sending stuff through remailers. It's not even very hard to be
    totally anonymous, just takes some time and some money.

    Warren Oates, May 3, 2014
  19. Fred Moore

    Your Name Guest

    If you're logged on to the Internet, then your ISP knows who and where
    you are, or an Internet cafe has you on camera ... the exception of
    course is if you steal someone else's account, but you're still not
    truly anonymous.

    Your Name, May 3, 2014
  20. Fred Moore

    Alan Browne Guest

    Using tails (which uses Tor) or Tor alone, all they can see is you're
    routed to some address out there. All of that traffic is encrypted and
    the next stop (IP address) along the way is encrypted and so on. So the
    sole information that they have is that you (or someone using your ISP
    connection) was connected to the web. At most they'd know the MAC
    address of the computer or device.

    At that point if you're a possible suspect in a murder that took place
    (on an appropriately dark and stormy night in a dark alley in the wrong
    part of town) the police could resort to traffic analysis to show that
    you _weren't_ using the web at hours that you typically do, therefore
    you weren't home. Countering this ...

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014