Taking a laptop apart...

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by JohnS, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    I'm looking for instructions on how to properly take a laptop apart, more
    specifically how to take a Toshiba Satellite apart.

    I have a Toshiba Satellite S255 (2.4Ghz Pentium IV) that I want to take
    apart so I can replace the touchpad. The OEM touchpad that it came with was
    a weak point with this laptop. I liked it for everything else, but the
    touchpad isn't all that great. I just purchased a new touchpad that is
    higher quality (and designed to fit with this laptop), but I can't seem to
    be able to take this thing apart.

    After removing all the screws (including the "hidden ones") there is
    something in the inside middle that continues to latch the upper part of the
    case with the bottom part. It has the feeling that it needs something
    lenghtly and flat to slide between the two case halves in order to release
    some latch.

    I can't seem to find any references on the web or through deja searches. I
    really want to get this new touchpad installed.

    Thanks...

    JohnS, Feb 5, 2004

  2. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    Ugh.

    I can't believe its so difficult to find documentation on taking Toshibas
    (or most laptops for that matter) apart.

    Of course, the "official Toshiba support" states that one needs to take a
    laptop to a "qualified service professional" in order to have internal
    repairs implimented. Give me a break, its just a computer. You don't have
    to be a rocket surgeon to repair/upgrade a damn computer, desktop or laptop.
    I work with and repair satellite communication terminals -- I "think"
    (sarcasm intended) that I can repair a damn laptop on my own. Computer
    hardware is freaking legos.

    This proprietary "secret" with breaking a Toshiba apart is rediculous. Its
    obviously so that the end user is continued to be milked.

    Screw 'em. I found a CD that contains service manuals for the current
    Toshiba laptops and just ordered it.

    JohnS, Feb 6, 2004

  3. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    Just to clarify again -- I did remove all the "hidden screws" in the modular
    compartments, under the removable tabs, under the removable strip, and
    looked for additional screws and latches under the keyboard.

    After I receive the service manual CD, I should put it online and make it
    available to everyone for free -- just to undermine Toshiba.

    JohnS, Feb 6, 2004
  4. JohnS

    Ian S. Guest

    all the more reason to buy a Thinkpad! ;-)

    Ian S., Feb 6, 2004
  5. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    all the more reason to buy a Thinkpad! ;-)

    LOL, yes it is...

    I really like this Toshiba, with the exception of the touchpad and the
    difficulty taking it apart has proved to been...

    Oh well.. I never messed with a Thinkpad, but you aren't the first that
    I've heard say they are easy to tear apart.

    Perhaps my next laptop will be a Thinkpad...

    JohnS, Feb 6, 2004
  6. JohnS

    Ian S. Guest

    It's not just that they can be easily taken apart but that the IBM website
    provides instructions on how to do it. Even for my 6 year old 560X. I needed
    the instructions to troubleshoot and eventually determine that my MB had
    died. I bought a used 560X on ebay and combined the parts to get a working
    laptop. Before I was sure I could get it all working again, I bought a
    refurbished T22. Now I just use the 560x for fieldwork at sewage treatment
    plants. Even the original 6 y.o. battery holds a charge just fine. I
    appreciate that IBM provides so much info on its website. I can't comment on
    their warranty support since I've never used it.

    Ian S., Feb 6, 2004
  7. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    It's not just that they can be easily taken apart but that the IBM website
    Wow, thats excellent that they provide service documentation on their web
    site. For that fact alone, I'll seriously be leaning towards IBM on my next
    laptop. Seems like many manufacturers (not just laptops, but electronics in
    general) are intentionally making it more and more difficult for end users
    to repair their own equipment. Thats great that you were able to put
    together a working laptop from a few salvaged laptops. I wouldn't mind
    doing that myself, I could definetly benefit from a laptop that I could take
    out in the mud. As for 'warrantys', I never use them either...

    JohnS, Feb 6, 2004

  8. IMHO its one of the best things about Thinkpads. Every damn screw has a
    part no. and recommended torque settings for tightening :) If you lose
    track of which screw went where during re-assembly, just consult the
    service manual and get out the vernier calipers :)
    Its an example of "how things should be" :)

    Martin Slaney, Feb 6, 2004
  9. JohnS

    Ron Hubbard Guest

    I needed to replace a dead sound card and found that Compaq has a 153 page,
    highly detailed, service and maintenance .pdf file for the Compaq Armada
    E700. But after looking at it, I decided that it's best for a repairman to
    deal with the intracacies of a laptop. A desktop I wouldn't hesitate to tear
    into.

    Ron Hubbard, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Pah ! Kids stuff - no part nos. for the screws :)

    Just looked up my partially stripped Armada M700 that I'm trying to fix
    up - and yes, there's a decentish take-apart and service document.
    Not quite in the same depth as the IBM ones, but a good deal better than
    most .....

    As for the no-name/badged clone things - forget it. If it goes wrong
    outside warranty - pretty much its a bin job :-/

    Martin Slaney, Feb 6, 2004
  11. JohnS

    E Brown Guest

    Even cooler of IBM is the service videos showing you how to
    disassemble the laptop. I've got one for the IBM 701, for instance.
    Emanuel

    E Brown, Feb 6, 2004
  12. JohnS

    Caerbannog Guest

    While we're on the subject does anyone know if there's a taking to bits
    guide for the HP omnibook 2100? I've scoured HPs ftp download area (very
    good, loads of stuff) and though there's a few disintegration instructions
    for some models, the 2100 doesn't seem to be there. I mean, I'll have a go
    at twiddling the precision screwdrivers anyway, but it would be nice to know
    if I was doing it correctly!

    Ta

    Dan :)

    Caerbannog, Feb 6, 2004
  13. JohnS

    John Harlow Guest

    On the bottom of mine, the screw lengths are shown with a little chart, and
    each hole has a number beside it showing the proper length screw for that
    hole.

    John Harlow, Feb 7, 2004
  14. JohnS

    Mike W Guest

    Wow, thats excellent that they provide service documentation on their web
    Compaq are so simple, no instructions are needed. My HP had a illustration
    in the manual. This is my 4th laptop in about 10 years. The units were/are
    cheep and reliable and were replaced for newer technology and not do to
    failures.

    What do you plan to change?

    Mike W, Feb 7, 2004
  15. JohnS

    Dan Koren Guest

    As a first step, get a copy of the service manual.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Feb 9, 2004
  16. JohnS

    Ron Hubbard Guest

    Ron Hubbard, Feb 9, 2004
  17. JohnS

    Caerbannog Guest

    Fantastic, thanks Ron. If only the site was more user-friendly I'd have
    found it myself and not had to bother you.

    Dan :)

    Caerbannog, Feb 9, 2004
  18. Not true for ALL thinkpads. Most laptops are a paint to take apart
    that far. They should be. It's much more inviting for someone sitting
    there with this small computer on their lap to want to look inside.

    Also, I hope that touchpad works. Even though it looks like it'll fit
    the circuitry may be different.

    Stromm Sarnac, Feb 9, 2004
  19. JohnS

    JohnS Guest

    Also, I hope that touchpad works. Even though it looks like it'll fit
    No shit?

    I thought I could just replace one that looked like it would fit.

    </sarcasm>

    Its installed now and working fine.

    JohnS, Feb 10, 2004
  20. JohnS