Taking apart an HP ZE5155: Did I miss a screw?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Little-Acorn, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. Little-Acorn

    Little-Acorn Guest

    My dead dead dead HP ZE5155 Pavilion laptop doesn't seem to want to come
    apart. Flipped it over and took out all the obvious screws (16 of them
    in the bottom). I've also heard of the hidden screws, and found several:
    Took out the two obvious ones in the HD plus the one hidden by that
    rubber plug. Also took out the battery and got the screw that's hidden
    beneath it (only found one there). Plus the two fairly-obvious ones in
    the back - one between the Enet and USB ports, and the other down by the
    yellow video-out port.

    But the bottom (I think HP calls it the "top cover") doesn't want to
    come off. The only corner that seems to want to lift away from the rest
    of the computer, is the corner by that yellow video-out port. Something
    seems to be holding the other three corners securely. I suspect more
    hidden screws, but I'm ****ed if I can find them.

    Do I have to take out the DVD drive first? If there's a hidden screw or
    two beneath it, that might free up one more corner. But two corners
    still don't want to budge.

    Anybody have a ZE5155 or similar laptop that he/she is familiar with
    taking apart, who can give me some hints?

    -frustrated- >:-O

    Little-Acorn, Oct 18, 2007

  2. You need a service manual. You have probably removed screws .... a LOT
    of screws that you should not have, AND missed some that you needed to
    remove. On many laptops, there are screws under the keyboard. On some
    models, you have to remove the LCD screen and lid from the base.
    Laptops are so different in how they come apart that even for an
    experienced laptop technician, presented with a model that they have
    never seen before and no manual, they may not be able to get it open.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Little-Acorn

    Quaoar Guest

    The missing screws are under the rubber feet on the bottom.

    Quaoar, Oct 23, 2007