Talbet PC Experience Pack released

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Chris H., Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Microsoft today (April 4) released the Tablet PC Experience Pack:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tabletpc/experiencepack/default.mspx
    which includes Ink Desktop for convenient writing of notes on the desktop, a
    version 2 of Snipping Tool, Ink Art (slick little program), a new Ink
    Crossword puzzle with free daily downloads, an updated Energy Blue Theme
    Pack, including a skin for Media Player, and Media Transfer which allows you
    to easily transfer music, movies and digital photo albums from your Home,
    Pro or Media Center Edition computer over your LAN.

    The Experience Pack will only install on a Tablet PC running Windows XP Pro
    SP2 and the Tablet PC Edition 2005.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005

  2. Chris H.

    Woody Guest

    And only an English version of Tablet PC 2005. It will refuse to install
    in another language version.

    Woody, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Correct. The system requirements are for Microsoft Experience Pack for
    Tablet PC 2005:
    - Windows XP for Tablet PC Edition 2005, English language

    - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

    - Windows Media Player 10 (required for Media Transfer)

    and, - At least 50 MB of available free space on your hard disk

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  4. Chris H.

    Dave Adamson Guest

    I've installed this and quite like the idea of the Ink Desktop (it's like
    using your desktop as a scrap of paper to take quick notes) and the new
    crossword puzzle thing (I'd had a problem with the old MSNBC Crossword
    Puzzle which stopped it from saving games midway through - this one seems
    okay so far). Might fiddle with the Media Transfer tool later.

    So far so good.

    Dave Adamson, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  6. Chris H.

    afcool83 Guest

    Has anyone expierenced any trouble with 'Ink Desktop"?

    All it does on my TC1000 is appear in the process list of the task
    manager, eat up some resources, and then disappear 10 seconds later.

    no fun inkable desktop, no pen-friendly interface, nothing.

    What am I doing wrong....other than still using a TC1000?

    afcool83, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  8. When will be germany version released?

    Daniel Danilin, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  10. Chris H.

    Mickey Segal Guest

    If the Tablet PC Experience Pack had come out a week ago I might not have
    started the thread "Less new TabletPC software recently", prompted in part
    by version 2 of the Snipping Tool not having appeared despite many sightings
    months ago. It is nice to get such quick results, and the "Less new
    TabletPC software recently" thread had some useful discussion about new
    products in the works and others that are needed.

    Despite my comments that most people don't buy a Tablet PC because they have
    wanted to draw on their computer, it is amazing to watch a real artist use
    ArtRage / InkArt for the first time. The artist was hugely impressed, and
    on her third drawing turned out an amazingly good work of art in less than
    10 minutes. Some people will indeed buy a Tablet PC to draw on their
    computer. Such users will gravitate towards larger TabletPCs. Others, who
    want a TabletPC for mobile access to information will gravitate towards
    smaller TabletPCs that are easy to carry around

    Mickey Segal, Apr 4, 2005
  11. Chris H.

    Paul Smith Guest

    Watched the demo video on Channel 9 of it... Sweet stuff, inking right onto
    the desktop would be awesome. Back into negotiations with other family
    members to try and split the costs... Trying to get my mum to fork out 30%
    showing her the crossword thing with it.... Might work lol!

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    Paul Smith, Apr 4, 2005
  12. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: Couldn't say anything at the time, Mickey. I've seen quite a few
    artists, especially in clothing design, use Tablet PCs to discuss their
    products. What's really neat, when one who really knows how to draw, how
    the Tablets work, is to watch these magnificent creations unfold. Maybe I
    should have paid more attention to the instructor instead of the cute little
    blonde in high school art class. :cool:

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  13. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  14. actualy, I don't need germany language. Just that I can install it on non
    english windows version.

    Daniel Danilin, Apr 4, 2005
  15. Chris H.

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Apr 4, 2005
  16. I've had one instance of it loading (invisbly) and then IE and Explorer
    folder instances refuse to become visible - no other progs seem to be
    affected. I had to hard-boot the computer to get out of that. That's on
    a Motion M1300.

    Mike Williams, Apr 4, 2005
  17. Chris H.

    afcool83 Guest

    "Others, who want a TabletPC for mobile access to information will
    gravitate towards smaller TabletPCs that are easy to carry around "

    IE PDAs?

    afcool83, Apr 4, 2005
  18. Chris H.

    Paul Smith Guest

    A PDA has to be pocket sized.... I think there's definitely a market for a
    Tablet PC (ie a machine that runs XP rather then Mobile) that are say 2.5-3
    times the size of a pocket pc... Something easy to carry around in a small
    bag etc, or even in your hand.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    Paul Smith, Apr 4, 2005
  19. Chris H.

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Mickey Segal, Apr 4, 2005
  20. Chris H.

    Paul Smith Guest

    Cool stuff.

    And the digitiser screen rather then a touch screen on Pocket PCs and
    Smartphones would be cool too, even if it obviously won't be full blown
    Windows (for a few years at least).

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.