Tape Drive - Archive Corporation 4324np - which Tape to buy?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by redjupiter, May 14, 2005.

  1. redjupiter

    redjupiter Guest

    Hi all,

    I have just inherited an exrternal box model 611 with a tape drive in
    it. No other info I am afraid. If I open the box and unscrew the tape
    drive I see Archive Corporation 4324NP model. What is the capacity and
    which tape shoul d I buy?

    I tried to search but got different answers 4-8 GB or 12 - 24 GB ???

    I connected it to an Ultra 30. How do Iknow if it is OK and configured
    by the system ?

    thanks for your help.

    Regards

    redjupiter

    redjupiter, May 14, 2005

  2. redjupiter

    Hank Zoeller Guest

    From the Maynard (Archive) manual, it *appears* as though your drive is
    a DAT-DC (DC == Data Compression) drive, uses 60 or 90 meter DDS tapes
    and (with 90 meter tapes) has a capacity of 2 to 4 GB depending on
    compressability of your data.

    Dip switch settings (as seen, left to right on the drive):
    S8 Self Test (Disabled if OFF (up))
    S7 Reserved (Must be OFF (up))
    S6 DDS Pass-Through (see note below)
    S5 Parity (Default is OFF (up))
    S4 SCSI-2 (Default is ON (down))
    S3 SCSI ID
    S2 SCSI ID
    S1 SCSI ID

    [S6 Note] Enable or disable DDS-DC data compression pass through mode.
    The default is DDS pass-through mode disabled (S6 OFF), which makes
    DDS-DC data compression active. S6 ON enables DDS pass-through mode,
    making DDS-DC data compression inactive. However, the function of S6
    can be over-ridden by the proper SCSI Mode Select Command from your tape
    software. Thus, software can enable/disable data compression.

    On non-DC drives, this switch is reserved and must be OFF.

    Hank Zoeller, May 14, 2005

  3. redjupiter

    redjupiter Guest

    Great ... Thanks for the info.

    Now I can buy some tapes and test it ... cheers

    redjupiter, May 17, 2005