    More importantly - can I uninstall service pack 2 without screwing up the
    system? Was it designed to be uninstalled?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Stef, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Stef

    Chris H. Guest

    You may want to determine what is making the system slow, such as checking
    the drivers in Device Manager or looking in Control Panel/Administrative
    Tools/Event Viewer/Application listing in left pane. If there are problems
    with drivers or programs, we can get those corrected. You don't really want
    to back out of a service pack update, especially with the new security
    features in SP2.

    Chris H., Sep 9, 2004

  3. Stef

    Stef Guest

    Yes, looked there - nothing obvious.

    I am sure it has something to do with wireless...when switched off it seems
    to run ok, with it switched on things just grind to a halt. I feel like I am
    on a TC1000 again its that bad. Device manager reports all ok. Once
    connected to wireless network all ok. But when you switch off and then
    on....SLOW SLOW SLOW!

    Stef, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Stef

    Stef Guest

    By the way - thanks for the quick reply Chris.

    Stef, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Stef

    Chris H. Guest

    Stef, you may want to look at your drivers. Go to the OEM's web site and
    download the latest available, even if they're the same as you have, and
    reinstall.

    Chris H., Sep 9, 2004
  6. As far as I can see, I have the same Problems with my *TC1000* (Transmeta).
    Before installing SP2 the 3.time, I have removed every 'unnecessary' driver
    and have installed every publish updated drivers, tools, patches bios-update
    from HP's service website. But there was no really success. System is SLOW
    SLOW SLOW, especially every process the explorer is involved.
    If I open 'Network connections' it takes some minutes to open and then the
    window is empty.
    After a refresh, Windows reports it is unable to build the list of
    network-adapters, and suggests to check if network-connection-service is
    running. But Networking is OK, I can use the internet as well resources on
    my server.

    I have checked the drivers in Device Manager, every thing looked OK.

    Events - System: reports DCOM errors

    Jochen
    Dr. Jochen Hatry
    IT-Consultant
    Software Developer
    Berlin
    Germany

    Dr. Jochen Hatry, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Stef

    Chris H. Guest

    The DCOM error you're seeing may be something on your system already, prior
    to the XP SP2/Tablet PC Edition 2005 upgrade, which is attempting to launch
    a Server. Are you running IIS on the machine? You may want to take a look
    at this Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290398

    Remember, if you're seeing "strange" pop-up or error messages being reported
    on the system now, the security has change with SP2. You may also want to
    do a thorough scan with your anti-virus program, and also check the security
    information here: http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm

    Chris H., Sep 9, 2004
  8. Stef

    Kevin Eddy Guest

    Stef,

    If the wireless software is the same as in the other hp laptops, you might
    want to consider removing the hp software and using the built in stuff in
    XP. I've had much better success that way, and the wireless tools in SP2 are
    very good.

    Kevin Eddy, Sep 9, 2004
  9. Stef

    Austin Chen Guest

    I am a user of TC1000. The main problem maybe due to memory size. I
    installed extra 256MB SDRAM to make it has totally 512MB working memory. The
    performance is more acceptable. I have installed the SP2 and the performance
    is still the same. The SP2 may use more memory to do extra security
    features. My system reported it use about 300MB of memory to work and this
    aboved the default 256MB memory.

    Austin
    Kaohsiung, Taiwan

    Austin Chen, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Stef

    JD Guest

    I think the TC1000 is incredibly slow, the only real speed adjustment Ive
    been able to make is to go into the display proporties and switch to
    "default moniter 2" rather than dual display. All the problems seem to
    eminate from the graphics card usage. You know I go to /start/programs and
    everything hangs and jitters. Even webpages take an age to build. I think
    its a cock-up by HP and if I had bought new, I would have returned the
    thing!

    JD, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Stef

    Diederik Guest

    For your info...
    I've had a TC1000 which I filled to the max with memory. That seemed to do
    the trick although, due to the shared video memory, it still reacted fairly
    slow to my taste.

    I then bought a TC1100 which is a lot faster. I recently installed SP2 on it
    without ANY problems to my surprise. Escpacially when I read al these
    postings. I have 512MB standard in the machine. This seems to be enough. I
    regularly see that my pc uses more than 400MB of memory. So, using XP tablet
    and Office 2003 seems to be quite a load on the machine. But all together
    I'm real happy. Only a pitty the TIP doesn't support Dutch yet. Otherwise
    I'd be selling a lot more tablets.

    Sorry, I thought a positive note might be a nice change :)
    Diederik
    www.fbw.be

    Diederik, Sep 13, 2004