TCServer/TabTip using 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Jan, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    I'm experiencing problems with my convertable acer tabletpc with SP2.
    When I boot my tabletpc and work for some time, about an hour, suddenly the
    TCServer consumes 100% cpu load and the system doesn't react or reacts really
    slowly.
    I'm not talking about my system getting slower and slower. It seems to stop
    responding. But I can still send the SAS by pressing ctrl+alt+del.
    When I choose shutdown/restart from there it takes about 10 min to perform
    the reboot.
    When the system shuts down you can actually see that at some point the
    system resumes normal speed. I think this is the point where windows has
    stoppend the TCserver process.

    This happens even when I only use my keyboard for textinput.

    It happens also quite often when starting the IE, but not everytime.

    I don't know if this is the same problem like the already discussed in the
    TCServer/memoryleak topics here. But from what I've been reading it is just
    about the processes eating up memory not about consuming 100% CPU, is it?.

    I also don't hibernate.

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Jan

    Chris H. Guest

    Could very well be the memory leak Microsoft is working on to get repaired,
    Jan. Meanwhile, if you create a batch file like I've quoted below, you can
    run that to stop and restart the affected files. Copy everything between
    the -- notations below into a text file, then give it whatever name you want
    in the form of a *.bat file.
    =====
    ---- CLEARINK.BAT ----
    REM - First, kill processes
    taskkill -im tabtip.exe /F
    taskkill -im tcserver.exe /F

    REM - switch to directory containing Ink executables
    c:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\"

    REM - Startup the processes -
    REM - tcserver.exe will be called automatically by tabtip.exe
    tabtip.exe

    ---- END OF FILE ----
    =====
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 3, 2005

  3. Jan

    James Gockel Guest

    Off note, what is a memory leak, in general... besides when the ram pisses
    on your foot when you're using your computer?
    -James

    James Gockel, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Jan

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    In simple terms this means that an application has allocated some memory,
    but fails to return it when it's no longer needed.

    For example, in your code you may instantiate some objects. Later on you
    dereference these. Since you no longer have a handle to these objects, they
    are no longer reachable in your code, however they may still be using
    memory. If you do this in your code, you have a memory leak.

    Some modern programming platforms (like .NET, JVM) handle this for you via a
    "garbage collector". This detects managed objects that are no longer
    referenced, and "collect" them and free the memory they were taking up.

    HTH

    Cheers
    Ken

    --
    Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
    Web: www.adopenstatic.com

    :
    : : > Could very well be the memory leak Microsoft is working on to get
    : > repaired, Jan. Meanwhile, if you create a batch file like I've quoted
    : > below, you can run that to stop and restart the affected files. Copy
    : > everything between the -- notations below into a text file, then give it
    : > whatever name you want in the form of a *.bat file.
    : > =====
    : > ---- CLEARINK.BAT ----
    : > REM - First, kill processes
    : > taskkill -im tabtip.exe /F
    : > taskkill -im tcserver.exe /F
    : >
    : > REM - switch to directory containing Ink executables
    : > c:
    : > cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\"
    : >
    : > REM - Startup the processes -
    : > REM - tcserver.exe will be called automatically by tabtip.exe
    : > tabtip.exe
    : >
    : > ---- END OF FILE ----
    : > =====
    : > --
    : > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    : > In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
    : >
    : > Chris H.
    : > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    : > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    : > Associate Expert
    : > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    : >
    : >
[...]
    : >>

    Ken Schaefer, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Jan

    Jan Wagner Guest

    Hi,
    It really shouldn't hang after so short uptime... Have you already
    installed the Wacom Tablet PC drivers? And run Ad-Aware, SpyBot or
    similar, to see if there's malware installed?
    If it comes out clean, what you could try is download SP2 (single .exe
    setup "SP2 for IT professionals") and the Tablet 2005 recognizer pack,
    then disconnect from the internet, uninstall all antivirus software,
    reboot and install SP2 and then the recognizer pack, after that see how
    it works for a few hours, then reinstall the antivirus. This approach is
    a bit time consuming but should help if there was something broken with
    your current XP installation.

    cheers,
    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Thanks for the tip.
    I already have such a batch file (remeber the runas thread some months ago?)
    I just assigned it a shortcut key. Since when the bug hits you can't even
    think of letting the shell start the batch because it down't react either.
    So when my system stops reacting I start hammering Shift+Ctrl+T like crazy
    trying to get the batch started. My collegues always start laughing when they
    see me doing this in meetings. Sometimes I'm lucky and it gets enough CPU and
    kills the processes.

    But this isn't some odd behaviour anymore. This is a showstopper bug. And in
    my case it often leads to data loss :-(

    Is there any official statement from Microsoft about this TCServer Memory
    "problem"?
    Don't say its a leak, since leaks are not possible in .net applications.
    This is at least what MS told the developer community when introducing the
    ..net framework ;-)

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Have you already
    I do regular spybot checks. And It found nothing besides some cookies.
    I also have AV and firewall running.
    But I don't have the Wacom Tablet Drivers installed.
    What is the benefit of using them?

    Jan, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Jan

    Chris H. Guest