    me completely non-operational, and told me that it was going to take
    more than five days to get me a new HDD. And this is award-winning
    service???? Never again!

    Gary, Jun 23, 2003

  2. If you were that confident in the tech, why didn't you hang up and
    call back?
    Transferring to another tech may not have been an option that tech
    had.

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Gary

    Sean Guest

    "Last night, I practically told the guy that I was going to fly to Manila
    and stangle him."

    I thought that the tech support was in the US & India? Did he call you an
    ignorant bastard & remind you that Manila is in the Philippines?

    Sean, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Gary

    Irene Guest

    Unfortunately, that is the "Dell". Until the top brass at Dell determine
    that this is costing them more in sales revenue than they are saving in
    support costs, we will have to learn to deal with it.

    A few suggestions.

    When you get a tech like the one that you connected with, politely say thank
    you and hang up. Then call back and keep calling back until you get a tech
    that is able and willing to help you with your specific problem.

    Make all calls to Tech Support during Austin, Tx business hours. This gives
    you the best chance of getting a US based tech.

    Be polite, be patient, and above all be persistent.

    Irene, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Gary,

    Next time use the online support. my Death(esk)star 60 gig drive in my 4550
    died sometime during the night Saturday. Sunday morning I emailed Tech
    Support and with in an hour or so had a response and setup the replacement
    delivery. The total process took about 10 minutes of my time replying to 2
    emails. The first was the standard run the 9090 utility, the next was the
    It seems as if you drive is bad send use you info.

    Should get the drive via airborne tomorrow (Tuesday).

    Other than the occasional misunderstanding of an issue, I've had great luck
    with online support.

    The best thing is you don't need to waist time while some geek on the other
    end of a phone reads a script. You can take the canned response, do the
    suggested steps if they make since, disregard steps that you know are
    useless, and then reply all at you leisure.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Jun 23, 2003
  6. Gary

    J. Harvey Guest

    ...they just opened a call center in the Philippines.

    Yippee - free long distance to the Philippines. Might take 54 calls to get
    through to the right relative, but what the heck (not my nickel). Since the
    calls might be monitored, we'll need to create a code where normal
    conversational topics are mapped to PC problems.

    Memory Errors = send money for Uncle's surgery
    CPU problems = Grandpa is drinking San Miguel again
    Monitor is dead = the package arrived, salamat po
    etc.

    I'm kidding. ;-)

    J. Harvey, Jun 24, 2003
  7. Gary

    Fredrico Guest

    and told me that it was going to take
    And please keep in mind that the techs don't have Star Trek Replicators.
    They can't just whip up a HDD out of thin air, it has to actually be in the
    warehouse before they can ship it out.

    Fredrico, Jun 24, 2003
  8. Gary

    Sean Guest

    I stand corrected.

    Sean, Jun 24, 2003
  9. Gary

    Baxter Guest

    You get what you pay for and Dell's support is a joke!

    Baxter, Jun 24, 2003
  10. Gary

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, that's a matter of opinion. I've had excellent results with Dell
    support. Millions of other people have too.

    Kind of a broad statement without facts, isn't it?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 24, 2003
  11. With the diversity of mutual funds, many people own a piece of Dell
    and do not even know it.
    Behind the funds are managers representing large numbers of shares as
    well as clients.
    All the time the managers are making the voice heard that they want
    profits.

    This does not apply just to Dell, but also to virtually any publicly
    traded stock.

    The profits do not only go to Mike Dell but more so to the investors?
    Do you own and mutual funds?
    If you do is Dell a part of it?
    Was Dell or will dell be a part of it?

    I am not aware that mine has Dell, but like most funds the contents
    are constantly changing as the manager sees fit.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    SNIPPED
    I'm convinced you either work for the company or have stock in

    Jupiter Jones, Jun 24, 2003
  12. Gary

    Shaun Guest

    Dude, you dont work for nobody in the computer buissness on a
    technical level ,unless its as a full time internet propagandist for
    Dell. You proved how stupid you were about dell with your statements
    in the Alienware thread.
    Actually no, I'm a very competent technician and we just need someone
    on basic support lines that has a clue. Compaq's free reseller support
    blows dell out of the water. We have our support dollars tied up with
    important things like cisco, techdata etc etc . We would never have a
    reason for Dell premier support as we would never sell a server
    product made by them. Its still a compaq world out there when it comes
    to networking.

    Besides that, what does preimer support have to do with the consumers
    in this NG, absolutly nothing. Their complaints are completely founded
    so give your dell rah rah shit a break.

    I guess since they sell 70% of home computing products world wide
    thats a moronic obvious statement . Compaq home machines don't sell
    like dell but their support is far superior. Maybe Compaq, HP etc
    should put a cute under cover pothead on Tv and see their sales sky
    rocket.

    Ploink !

    Shaun, Jun 24, 2003
  13. Gary

    Kevin Guest

    Tom jumps to Dell's defense REGARDLESS of the issue.

    Kevin, Jun 24, 2003
  14. Gary

    Tom Scales Guest

    OK, I give up. You're just worth it.

    <plonk>

    Tom Scales, Jun 24, 2003
  15. Gary

    Irene Guest

    Kind of a broad statement without facts, isn't it?

    Something like?

    Irene, Jun 24, 2003
  16. Gary

    Morey G. Guest

    I would like to know what OTHER product line out there (cars,
    refrigerators, ovens, TV sets, etc, etc, etc) comes even remotely close to
    offering the kind of support Dell does for a da*n product that in many case
    can cost the consumer under $800????

    Granted that Tech Support may not be what it used to be a few years, or
    even months ago, I think some of the whiners out there are living in
    fairyland when they complain about it. Try calling your local GM, Ford,
    Chrysler regional customer service center for support on a product that
    costs THOUSANDS more than a friggin' Dell PC and then tell me Dell has crap
    support! Call Whirlpool or Maytag for Tech Support on your washer or
    Fridge. C'mon folks, let's get real. We're just spoiled and expect MORE
    than we've paid for because it's a PC.

    I get so tired of the same old mantra "Tech Support stinks...". While I am
    sure there are MANY instances of support being less than stellar, overall,
    considering the cost of the product, the slimmer margins for the
    manufacturer, the fact that there even EXISTS a Tech Support group is
    amazing!
    Regards to all,
    Morey G.... Dell shill, and proud of it

    Morey G., Jun 26, 2003