technical PS2 info from GDC - RSX based on NV47

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Air Raid, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Air Raid

    Air Raid Guest

    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060329/3dps3.htm
    http://ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=18987
    http://forums.e-mpire.com/showthread.php?t=54081
    http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=92548

    - PPE has 128 VMX registers now, and a dot product instruction (I
    think).

    6 SPEs are available to applications - as speculated/expected by many,
    a SPE is reserved by the OS.

    For the first time, Sony references the architecture RSX was based on
    specifically - the NV47. 24 2D texture lookups simultaneously = 24
    pixel pipelines. 384 flops/clock.

    Two models for RSX programming:

    PSGL - high level
    libgcm - low level, to the metal

    I'll update as I get more out of Google.

    the important info is the confirmation that PS3's RSX GPU is based on
    the NV47 (G70)

    Air Raid, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Air Raid

    Air Raid Guest

    Air Raid, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Air Raid

    Dreamcasted Guest

    Wow, I thought PS2 had the emotion engine.

    Dreamcasted, Mar 29, 2006
  4. Air Raid

    Slitheen Guest

    I can only guess at how SAD AirRaid's life must be - his sole motivatation
    being to belittle a certain games console, however futile this one man war
    will be eventually. PS3 is merely a toy at the end of the day, as is X360 or
    Revolution...or any other games console. It'd be like a Sindy doll lover
    waging a war on Barbie.....it's fucking ludicrous.

    I also see he has been booted off many forums for similar spamming.

    http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive55-2005-11-256338.html

    As I say, how sad?

    Slitheen, Mar 30, 2006