    With nothing more to go on, I tested it with the Apple Hardware Test
    that came with the eMac, and it passed completely.

    Should I worry? Is there anything else I can do?

    GitFiddler, Sep 28, 2007

  2. forumgratiz..com.br, Sep 28, 2007

  3. GitFiddler

    David Empson Guest

    That isn't particularly clear. I need more information to give a full
    answer.

    For which part of the computer is TechTool Pro reporting a failure? Its
    test suites runs through several components and does a reasonable test
    on each part included in that test, with a detailed report at the end
    (though it isn't detailed enough for my liking).

    If the overall result is "failed" you need to look at the specific
    details to see which part it thinks has a problem.
    That's a good sign, but Apple Hardware Test doesn't test some things,
    such as the integrity of the file system on your hard drive, or doing a
    full surface scan to check for bad blocks.

    TechTool Pro might just be reporting that you have a problem with the
    file system, which needs to be repaired. This is not a hardware problem.

    It also might have detected a bad block on your hard drive, which means
    you should replace your drive as soon as possible.

    David Empson, Sep 29, 2007
  4. GitFiddler

    GitFiddler Guest

    Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. The failed test was the "Hardware Test"
    or something to that effect. It was one of the 10 or 12 tests TT ran.

    GitFiddler, Sep 29, 2007
  5. GitFiddler

    David Empson Guest

    Hardware Test is a general heading. When I run TechTool Pro, the report
    has the following sub-headings under "Hardware": Cache, Clock, FireWire,
    Main Memory, Mathematics, Network, Processor, Universal Serial Bus
    (USB), Video Memory. Each of these has an individual "Passed" (or
    presuambly "Failed") next to it.

    If I run the "basic tests" suite, it also does a minimal test of the
    drive hardware, which the report shows under a "Drives" heading. There
    are three individual tests there which might fail: Disk Controller, Read
    Write, SMART.

    David Empson, Sep 29, 2007
  6. GitFiddler

    Philo D Guest

    "Hardware Test" consists of 9 individual tests. Use the little triangle
    to list them separately, or read about it in the log afterward, to see
    which of the 9 is failing.

    Philo D, Sep 29, 2007
  7. IF the SMART test is OK can one assume that their HD is fine?

    Ockham's Razor, Sep 29, 2007
  8. GitFiddler

    David Empson Guest

    Yes indeed. I was quite excited to see a failed SMART test recently on a
    hard drive. It was the first time I'd seen what happens in Disk Utility
    when a SMART failure is detected (and the first time I've ever seen an
    error reported by SMART).

    In the last couple of years, I've probably dealt with a dozen hard
    drives with various hardware failure conditions, and none of them were
    indicating SMART errors.

    For those who haven't seen it, Disk Utility highlights a SMART error by
    displaying the drive and all partition names in red, and puts up a big
    warning message in the main body of the window when you click on the
    drive. It won't let you do drive-level operations like erasing or
    partitioning. The status line at the bottom which normally says
    "Verified" instead says "Failing".

    David Empson, Sep 29, 2007
  9. Is there any value in the disk repair functions of TTP or Disk Utility?

    What is the best early drive failure detection application?

    Ockham's Razor, Sep 30, 2007
  10. GitFiddler

    David Empson Guest

    Definitely, for dealing with file system corruption (usually a software
    issue). They can't help with hardware failures.

    Disk Utility's "Repair Disk" function is the usual first method of
    fixing a problem if "Verify Disk" reports a problem.

    If you don't do anything about a problem reported by Verify Disk, it may
    result in cascading file system corruption, resulting in serious data
    loss. (The degree of risk depends on the precise problem, which may be
    minor.)

    If Disk Utility is unable to do a Repair Disk, you need a more advanced
    tool to fix the problem, and the best candidates are DiskWarrior or Tech
    Tool Pro. (I've never needed to use TTPro to repair a disk, because
    DiskWarrior has always worked well enough.)
    TechTool Pro can do a surface scan (which takes ages) and basic tests of
    the drive hardware.

    Using Disk Utility's Verify Disk is a good idea on an occasional basis,
    to check for problems. If your file system is using journalling, the
    chances of developing file system corruption are pretty low (even in the
    event of a system crash), but it does happen from time to time.

    David Empson, Sep 30, 2007