Tell me about different types of ATX power supplies ??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Al Dykes, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    It's been a couple years since I bought an ATX PSU. I had a spare on
    the shelf that I bought shortly after I built my big system on an ASUS
    A7N8X mobo. the PSU just dies and I went to my spare and found that
    it doesn't have the two-wire cable thet goes to the mobo and controls
    power on/off. (ANTEC PP-412X) I don't know what kind of system this
    PSU is used in. (It had the right mobo power connector.)

    So I run down to the local Best Buy and pick an an ANTEC ATX PSU off
    the shelf and buy it. Now when I open the box I find that there is no
    mobo power connector that matches my mobo. (It does have the mobo
    on/off cable.) The flyer that comes in the box says things about P4
    systems and has SATA power cables. The labels on the box didn't describe
    the contents except to say ATX 2.0 compatible.

    I hope BB gives me credit. Obviously the world of ATX has changed. My
    ASUS mobo is not an obscure item. This is getting expensive.

    What should I be looking for on the box when I buy a new PSU.

    Al Dykes, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Al Dykes

    Pen Guest

    You're mistaken. The power supply doesn't
    control the power on/off, the front panel
    switch does that. An ATX supply has only
    the 20 pin connector and usually 4 of the
    larger moles connectors for drives, plus
    1 or 2 smaller 4 pin power connectors for 3.5"
    floppies. ATX12V adds a 4 pin 12 volt connector
    for newer mobos. The latest supplies may have 24 pin
    power connectors, these may be used on 20 pin boards
    if they fit. However, they may not have the needed
    drive power cables.

    Pen, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    OK. I learned something today. I looked at the mobo manual and the
    two wire header I thought connected the front panel ON/OFF button to
    the PSU is in fast shown as a "power supply fan" header and I assume
    if the PSU doesn't have a cable it doesn't need it.

    Al Dykes, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Al Dykes

    Pen Guest

    That's correct.

    Pen, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Al Dykes

    Arno Wagner Guest

    It is just an additional fan-monitor input that can be used with
    some PSUs. You can ignore it.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jun 4, 2005