    I hear a lot debate about cpu and system temps. But does anyone knows what
    is maximum safe temperature for harddrive?

    My drives are getting 40'C and 44'C peak. Is it ok or too hot?

    Asestar, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Asestar

    ICee Guest

    Don't know what drive you have, but Western Digital drive operating max
    temp is 55° C.

    ICee, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Asestar

    Asestar Guest

    Bingo.. There are 2 harddrives in system. A WesternDigital 1200JB, 7200rpm
    8mb cache, that runs about 40'C max.
    Other one is Seagate 5400rpm,2mb,40 GB which runs about 44'C max. I guess
    it's not that bad.

    Asestar, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Asestar

    ICee Guest

    Interesting that the slower Seagate runs hotter. I'm sure the max temp
    spec is very similar for the Seagate, and the WD (I have the same drive)
    is well within spec. Of course, it never hurts to cool them even more,
    but it's not necessary.

    ICee, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Asestar

    DaveL Guest

    The cooler you keep them (to a point) the longer they will last. I see it
    all the time in the field. The drives that run hot are the first to go
    belly up. If you have two drives together in a cage you better have a good
    backup.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 19, 2004
  6. Asestar

    h2so4 Guest

    My two Hitachi drives read HD0 26c and HD1 25c but I doubt that you have a
    problem. I have a Coolermaster case where two fans blow over my hard drives.

    h2so4, Apr 19, 2004
  7. Asestar

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Dave,

    Would you say the 'two in a cage' configuration life reduction problem
    is from heat or from vibration?

    Seems like the newer drives vibrate much less then those of just a few
    years ago. If the problem is from vibration then perhaps it is less
    of a problem these days?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Asestar

    borolad Guest

    When both my ' IBM Deathstars ' went in the same 6 months I had to
    re-buy. I decided that :

    - I would only buy two [ not three ] platter drives
    - I would only buy drives with a three year warranty
    - I would sacrifice speed [ 10k ] for longevity [ 72k ]
    - I would fit coolers to the chipset [ not radiator ] side

    The drives are cool, not even warm to the touch, as near silent as can
    be. The coolers I run at 7volts, reducing the speed and CFM and noise
    but clearly they ' work ' very very well and add only a tiny % cost to
    the price of this expensive and critical component.

    Coolers :
    http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17320&cat=&page=1
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Coolers_57.html
    Drives :
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...es/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Samsung.html

    borolad, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Asestar

    Rick Guest

    Some hard drive specs are misleading. While the spec might
    allow operating temps in excess of 40C, one is almost assured
    of premature failure. Anything over 40C is too warm.
    Seagate X15's are awesome (and quiet) drives, if SCSI is an
    option. I've had six running for almost four years now, none of
    them have failed yet.

    Rick

    Rick, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Asestar

    Asestar Guest

    The drives are cool, not even warm to the touch, as near silent as can
    How did you lower the voltage?

    Asestar, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Asestar

    DaveL Guest

    I was thinking heat build up inside the cage from the drives. I don't know
    how vibration would figure into it. My guess is vibration is not a factor
    on drive longevity.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 20, 2004
  12. Asestar

    borolad Guest

    borolad, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Asestar

    John Smith Guest

    Anything over 37 °C is too hot and your HDD manufacturer will not accept it
    for refound if damaged. SMART system records these thermal peaks and 37 °C
    is the upper margin. I also believe everything over 37 °C is a death
    contract for your HDD. Make your computer case properly cooled and also your
    HDD if it's running hot (maybe Hardcano 6 from Thermaltake?).

    To those fanatics with 55 °C on HDD: Are you completely insane???

    John Smith, Apr 22, 2004
  14. Asestar

    ICee Guest

    What are you talking about? Did you actually *read* the post? Take a
    look here:
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=704&p_created=1037222945

    ICee, Apr 25, 2004
  15. Asestar

    Asestar Guest

    Thanks ICee. After check with both Seagate and WD websites, i found out what
    is danger temp limit for my drives:

    For WD1200Jb, 120G: -5'C -> 55'C (so my 40-41'C is ok)
    For ST340810A, 40GB: 0'C -> 65'C (hence 42-44'C is normal)

    Further more, I have made extra air vent (uncovering a 2,5" bay, under
    floppy drive), directly above the 40GB drive. I can touch the top metal
    surfice of drive if i put my fingers in it.
    It should help dissipate more heat, since this old 5200rpm drive runs hotter
    than the faster 7200rpm WD hdd.
    120GB hdd is mounted further below the 40Gb, with space for 1 hdd between
    them. This should prove effective.

    Thanks for all replies, I am now pretty satisfied.

    Asestar, Apr 25, 2004
  16. Asestar

    ICee Guest

    Interesting that the Seagate can go up to 65° C.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the update, and you're welcome. :)

    ICee, Apr 25, 2004