Temperature monitor for Mach Speed MK8-939A socket 939 ATX?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by glasgowc1, Sep 1, 2006.

  1. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    I just set up a fresh install on a machine mounting a Mach Speed
    MK8-939A socket 939 ATX motherboard and an AMD X-2 4800+ CPU. I am
    interested in keeping a watch on the CPU temps and fan revs.

    The WarpSpeeder overlocker utility can see the CPU temp fine, but not
    anything else... and as I don't overclock, I don't want the thing
    running or sitting around on my desktop where somebody could
    potentially screw with it. Besides, I don't like the overhead it eats.

    Other programs I've already tried and that either didn't work
    satisfactorily, or I didn't know how to set them up properly:

    * SpeedFan (didn't report properly)
    * MBM5 (didn't report properly)
    * SmartGuardian (no way am I using this piece of crap again, the
    overhead is too much and the interface is horrifically ugly)

    The motherboard in question has specs here:

    http://www.machspeed.com/specs/viper/MK8-939A.html

    Also, CPU-Z reports this for mainbord, chipsets, and sensor...

    Chipset

    Northbridge VIA K8T890 rev. 00
    Southbridge VIA VT8237 rev. 00
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 2048 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 166.6 MHz (CPU/6)
    CAS# 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 7
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10
    DRAM Idle Timer 16
    Command Rate 2T

    Monitoring

    glasgowc1, Sep 1, 2006

  2. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    Those specs are worthless for what you want.
    Yep. that's what you need to know. But look on the board and verify it. I
    don't trust any software. You may have an ITE8712F or even an 8716.
    Well, I don't use windows, but I did setup MBM5 once for a board that
    wasn't listed. If your board is listed, select it, then go into the sensor
    section and start looking around at different sensor selections. If one
    doesn't work for one function, choose another sensor for it. Should find
    the right combo eventually. The ITE 8716 is backward compatable with the
    8712F/8705. so all you should have to do is find the right sensors of your
    chip. Voltages and the like should be IN_1, etc. Temps, temp1, etc., and
    fans fan1, etc. Good luck.

    Wes Newell, Sep 1, 2006

  3. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    Roughly where on the board would I look for him? I mean, what's the
    chip look like?

    Thanks.

    glasgowc1, Sep 1, 2006
  4. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    Large rectangular chip right in front of the 2 outside PCI slots, Should
    have ITE in large letters and the part number in smaller characters.

    Wes Newell, Sep 1, 2006
  5. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    Found it. This is what was written on it. I don't know what #'s
    actually mean anything besides the IT8 series, so I'll just dump 'em
    all.

    ITE8705AF
    0544-GXS
    ZM1QJH

    glasgowc1, Sep 1, 2006
  6. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    I set MBM5 up, and cycled through all the available sensors, and...
    they all seem to fluctuate wildly between -55C and 70-90C.

    My BIOS is updated, my motherboard works fine in all other respects,
    and some googling seems to hint that this happens on other Mach Speed
    boards.

    Anybody know anything more about this?

    glasgowc1, Sep 2, 2006
  7. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, Smartguardian should work on it.

    Wes Newell, Sep 2, 2006
  8. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    This is from my MBM 5.INI file.
    [Temperature]
    T1 Name=Case
    T1 Sensor=371

    Wes Newell, Sep 2, 2006
  9. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    Weird. Smartguardian (downloaded from
    http://www.ite.com.tw/software_download/software_download2.asp) is
    totally not working.

    Oh, it's picking up the # of fans and fan speeds quite accurately, and
    the voltages look right too... but the temps are in whackyland. CPU
    is reporting as -31C, and System temp was reporting as a constant 70C.

    Bi-zarre. Do I have the off-brand bios or something?

    glasgowc1, Sep 2, 2006
  10. glasgowc1

    glasgowc1 Guest

    Update: Speedfan v4.29 has found the AMD K8 CPU temp sensor, and that
    one actually is reporting sanely. (idle 30C, 48C after 10 minutes of
    Doom 3 on ultra-hi-res, woo!) Likewise my HD sensors (I didn't even
    know hard drives *had* temperature sensors).

    None of the other temp sensors it's detected are making the slightest
    sense however.

    glasgowc1, Sep 2, 2006
  11. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    Might try both the 8705 and the 8712 versions of Smartguardian. Are temps
    ok in bios? Unfortunately, I can't start MBM5 in windows since I chaned to
    this new board with onboard Graphics. There's no graphics driver for Win
    98 so all I can get is generic 16 color vga and MBM requires 256 color, I
    tried several other drivers for W98, but they just screwed it more. Might
    play with it some if I get some down time. This is my server box and and
    is usually recording HDTV in primetime and Sat and Sun afternoons, so I
    only take it down after midnight adn during the day during the week. Maybe
    MBM will do a dump without the display.

    Wes Newell, Sep 2, 2006
  12. glasgowc1

    Wes Newell Guest

    Most of these programs have a way of setting the sensors it uses. You just
    have to find the right ones.

    For this board for instance;

    # Voltage monitors as advised in the It8705 data sheet

    label in0 "VCore 1"
    label in1 "VCore 2"
    label in2 "+3.3V"
    label in3 "+5V"
    label in4 "+12V"
    label in5 "-12V"
    label in6 "-5V"
    label in7 "Stdby"
    label in8 "VBat"

    # Temperature
    #
    # Important - if your temperature readings are completely whacky # you
    probably need to change the sensor type. # Adujst and uncomment the
    appropriate lines below. # The old method (modprobe it87 temp_type=0xXX)
    is no longer supported. #
    # 2 = thermistor; 3 = thermal diode; 0 = unused # set sensor1 3
    # set sensor2 3
    # set sensor3 3
    # If a given sensor isn't used, you will probably want to ignore it # (see
    ignore statement right below).

    label temp1 "CPU Temp"
    set temp1_over 60
    set temp1_low 15