*** Temporarely fix for X-Fi soundblaster crackling sounds ***

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Skybuck Flying, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I came across this fix in the past I think but I didn't try it... maybe
    because I didn't believe it would work... or maybe because I didn't wanna
    loose any memory/gigabytes. But now that I have played a game called FEAR
    it's important to fix the sound crackling because this game loads a lot more
    so you ll have a lot more sound crackling.

    The fix is this:

    Start->Run->MsConfig

    Then go to boot.ini

    Then click advanced options

    Then set maxmem to 4096.

    Then reboot.

    This fixed the sound problem for me. No more crackling.

    However I just checked system info... and now I only have 2 gigabytes of
    memory instead of 4 gigabytes... so that kinda sucks.

    So I consider this a temporarely fix.

    I just checked msconfig again and apperently windows is recommending the
    following value:

    3856... at least for my system.

    So maybe that will give some extra memory and still solve the sound problem.

    I found the solution on this link:

    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t22010.html

    "
    For everyone in this thread...
    Ok, after much searching for an answer, I now know why some people are not
    able to 5.1 sound and have stereo only on XP64 or they have crackling and
    pops with Xfi's and XP64.
    It has to do with the amound of memory you have in your system. Windows XP
    can only address 2.8G of physical ram. Memory addresses above this from 2.8
    to 4 is used for I/O. In XP64,
    this " hole" is remapped in software to occur after the physical Ram. If you
    have an E4 Opteron this mapping is done in hardware.
    Apparently, the programmers at creative did not take this into account (or
    it is a hardware issue) and thus the driver does not function correctly if
    you have 4 g or more of memory. You can fix this, by setting /maxmem=4096 in
    your boot.ini. What this will do is instruct XP64 to allocate a maximum
    address of 4096,
    it will subtract from this address the amount of I/O space if needs and it
    will leave you with around 2.8-3.2 G of ram. All other ram will go to waste.
    However,
    the Audigy and Xfi will now work correctly.
    Hopefully a driver update will fix this.
    The thing is though, some people said they have it working. I am not so
    sure. I thought my audigy was working until I added a center channel and
    realized the only reason I had sound form the rear channels is because I had
    CMSS3D on. Turn if off and sound only from the left and right channel.
    If you do have it working, and you have CMSS3D off, AND you have 4G of ram
    or more, please say so on this thread so that maybe there is another
    possilbe solution.
    Tom
    "

    Some more information on this problem would be interesting.

    I also signed this petition asking creative labs and anybody else to fix the
    problem !

    http://www.petitiononline.com/poipoi1/petition.html

    I'll report back if any other values give more memory while still
    eliminating the sound crackling ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Well the crackling sound is gone.

    However when I start civilization 3 conquest and then play freecell and make
    a wrong move I still hear this bad beeeep.

    So there are still are sound problems/issues/driver or hardware bugs ;)

    Maybe this specific bug is only related to civ 3 direct x freecell etc.. who
    knows ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Skybuck Flying

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    What a crock of shit. The reserved memory area is rarely more than .25MB
    which is why XP typically reports only seeing around 3.75GB when there is
    4GB of physical RAM. Do some homework next time.

    DRS, Jun 1, 2006
  4. Yeah it sounds weird but it works =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Skybuck Flying

    DRS Guest

    Q: Why does the system only show 3.5 GB of memory when I have 4.0 GB of
    memory installed?

    A: Under the current PC memory addressing, there is a memory area just below
    4.0 GB which is reserved permanently. The reserved area is for system BIOS
    to put APIC, ACPI Table, PCI Devices', Resources and AGP aperture
    information. When your system DRAM is 3.5 GB or lower, the system will show
    that the same amount of memory has been implemented. However, if the system
    DRAM is above 3.5 GB of memory, the actual amount of memory that the system
    shows will be less due to the reserved area. Regardless of memory size, the
    reserved memory addressing is always present, but only when the DRAM rises
    above the 3.5 GB amount will that area become visible.

    http://tyan.com/support/html/f_s2668.html

    DRS, Jun 1, 2006
  6. Skybuck Flying

    Conor Guest

    You'd do much better tweaking the PCI latency settings...

    Conor, Jun 1, 2006
  7. Then go to boot.ini
    Congratulations to Creative/Ensoniq who have the DMA-related bugs in their
    drivers.

    Maxim S. Shatskih, Jun 1, 2006
  8. Nope, I tried that, it has little to no effect ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2006
  9. Skybuck Flying

    JAD Guest

    Which was out first the, drivers or the game?

    JAD, Jun 2, 2006
  10. Skybuck Flying

    Conor Guest

    Did you also lower the PCI latency on the graphics card? Sometimes that
    is set to some ridiculously high level.

    Another option which cropped up in Battlefield 2 was that the game use
    its own generic openal32.dll library and changing it with the one
    installed by Creative from the Windows/System folder cured that in that
    particular game.

    Conor, Jun 2, 2006
  11. Pci-E latency is fixed occording to tool.

    All games had the crackling which is now gone thx to the temp fix.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2006
  12. Congratulations to Creative/Ensoniq who have the DMA-related bugs in their
    Drivers.

    Their DMA code seems to have issues with > 4GB RAM.

    Maxim S. Shatskih, Jun 2, 2006