Temporary Finder Freeze-Ups? (MacBook, Tiger)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AES, Jul 20, 2010.

  1. AES

    AES Guest

    (Apologies if you've seen similar msg from me before; same problem
    persists, have new data.)

    I encounter intermittent situations where, a few times a day, the
    Finder, or some app on my 2007-era MacBook still running Tiger,
    temporarily "freezes up" -- gives me a long-running beach ball -- but
    _always_ recovers to normal operation after a long enough wait (maybe
    several minutes).

    Occurrence is variable, but seems to occur, randomly, when I call for
    one or more Finder operations (with mouse or KB), or an app needs to
    contact the Finder (e.g., a Save or Save As); and especially after a
    sleep.

    A common (but not the only) example: MacBook sleeps overnight (all apps
    closed). In the morning I open and start using MT-NewsWatcher or
    Eudora, processing multiple items, eventually encountering one I want to
    Save or Save As to file. I select the Save As command in the app File
    menu, and the Save As dialog box opens _immediately_, in column mode,
    with all lines and outlining visible but otherwise inactive.

    The spinning beach ball then appears; the Save As process (and often the
    app itself) are both frozen; and it takes maybe a full minute for the
    Save As columns to fill with info, and the Save As box to become active.
    It does this on the _first_ Save only; subsequent Saves go fine.

    New data: Ran Disk Utility from Tiger OS: no problems. Then ran all
    tasks in TechTool Deluxe 3.1.3 from original system disk: no problems in
    any of them.

    Any ideas? (I'm on the verge of transitioning to a new MacBook Pro with
    Snow Leopard; but I'd still like to fix this problem before I do.)

    AES, Jul 20, 2010

  2. How much RAM do you have, and how much free space is there on the hard
    drive? If you're low on both, that can cause that problem.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 20, 2010