    Any idea what's wrong? How to put it right?

    TIA,

    Gary Thomson

    gary thomson, Jun 18, 2004

  2. You've setup ls to be something other than /bin/ls. What happens when
    you type

    which ls

    This should display "/bin/ls". If it shows that, check the file itself:

    file /bin/ls

    which should display

    /bin/ls: Mach-O executable ppc

    If you're not seeing anything like this, then post the results and
    someone here might be able to help. Do you, by chance, share this sytem
    with someone else?

    Michael Vilain, Jun 18, 2004

  3. This will happen if you install OS X but uncheck the option to install the
    BSD
    subsystem.

    Try

    man ls

    if you get "man: Command not found" or "no man page entry for ls,"
    then the BSD subsystem is definitely not installed.[/QUOTE]

    The "ls" command is part of the BaseSystem package, and the man page is
    part of the Essentials package. Neither depends on the BSD subsystem
    package being installed.

    Tom Harrington, Jun 19, 2004
  4. gary thomson

    gary thomson Guest

    I get the man page for 'ls'. Also 'ls' works in another users space. I
    did have to reinstall OS X this week, though.

    gary thomson, Jun 19, 2004
  5. If ls works for another user, then I'd look at the dot files for the
    user that can't do "ls". Someone's munged them. Contact your sysadmin
    if you're unfamiliar with UNIX dot files and how to modify them.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 19, 2004
  6. There is no ls2 in pre-Panther installations AFAIK.

    George Williams, Jun 19, 2004