    The retail HS's are so rough it wouldn't work?

    Seriously, I would bet a lapped HS would cool as well as this rough one did
    with a pad. But no, I'm not going to test that on this machine. :)

    Stacey, May 18, 2004

  2. Stacey

    Don Taylor Guest

    I'm trying to get somewhere in that direction. Since I think we would
    agree that the probability of fire is very small but we want the
    probability it will successfully work if there is a fire to be very
    high then I'm a little hesitant to believe in a hobby-modification
    project to make this work. I am still looking at all the possible
    solutions to this though. Thanks

    Don Taylor, May 18, 2004

  3. Stacey

    Matt Guest

    Feel free to start your own thread on this topic in some appropriate
    newsgroup.

    Matt, May 18, 2004
  4. Stacey

    Erez Volach Guest

    Such measures are applied in industrial installations (like in electricity
    cabinets of large machines in a factory - where water sprinklers are not a
    wise anti-flame option). In non electrical / non chemical environements
    water sprinklers remotely and automaticly switched open (for EE guys, open
    means there's a current of water) by a relay connected to the fire / heat
    alarm. Im sure there are trip-switches that also disconnect elevators and
    such when there's a building fire...

    Erez Volach, May 18, 2004
  5. Stacey

    rstlne Guest

    Such measures are applied in industrial installations (like in electricity
    Seen a LOT of panels/Other for the Nuclear & PetroChem industry's (cant say
    I ever seen any automated fire ext kit for a sole peice of electronics)..

    In reality, If something is allowed to get hot enough to burn your house
    through an electrical fault (dead short) then it means that the consumer
    unit is not properly set up. Once a fire is started removing electricity
    (for most things that we have) will not stop the fire. Normally IF there is
    a fire you would combat the whole area and not just the specific fire point
    of detection (speaking about automated fire systems here).

    But I would need to wonder HOW his pc burning (probably have 5-10 fuses
    before it gets to the power strip) will spread to other things in the house.

    Metal (normally metal) cases generally dont burn well, nor does the things
    inside of a case.

    My suggestion, Get proper electrical wiring.

    rstlne, May 31, 2004
  6. Stacey

    Erez Volach Guest

    Electrical fault can also be an arc - which means there's an ongoing spark
    and heat source. Generally speaking, most of electrical components are in
    some way or another flame retraded (all PCBs have UL-94 V-0 marking),
    electric outlets should be FR-HIPS or melamine, cables are (intrinsically)
    flame retarded PVC etc...
    Aluminum burns like hell(fire) ;-) steel (or copper) doesn't. Think about
    airplane burning - it's not just the fuel, it's the whole fuselage.
    Agreed. And standard components (UL, CE, TUV marks)

    Erez Volach, May 31, 2004