Testing ARM/FPGA with IAR EWARM and ModelSim (with Tcl Interface)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Allard, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. Allard

    Allard Guest

    I hope to get your feedback of what you think of integrating IAR EWARM
    (probably the same for EWAVR) with the hardware development scene.

    All our hardware design tools have Tcl scripting support for batching.
    I think it would be great to have the IAR simulator communicate with
    our FPGA simulator ( in our case ModelSim ) . This way we can make
    nightly builds possible and make tests with the ARM and the FPGA,
    resulting in better quality and early detection of faults.

    The easiest way to integrate with multiple other environments is to
    make a macro available in the debugger to execute an TclScript. To make
    it more useful i would like to set an memory range (address of the
    FPGA) like for example 0x40000000-0x60000000 and all
    memory access in this range should be handled with the Tcl script. This
    tcl script returns an value on read. or just voids on a write.

    Please let me know what you think, to work on the idea so we can make a
    sollid feature request @ IAR.

    Best regards,

    Allard

    Allard, Nov 3, 2008

  2. Don't know what can be accomplished, but I think that the best
    would be if the debugger can open a network connection
    to an ARM simulator implemented in PLI in Modelsim.
    The simulator would generate bus cycles.

    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 3, 2008