    The motherboard is fairly new.
    System is Dell Dimension E520.
    OS is Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.
    species8350, Sep 17, 2013

  2. species8350

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Usually it may be a hardware fault, such as some bad soldiering on some
    ports which create a lack of connection from time to time. Check the
    front ports out by connecting various different devices with various
    different cables.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2013

  3. species8350

    Also there are 3 different ways that USB connectors are wired.
    It could be that the pins on the mainboard are different to the connector
    to your case front panel.
    I have seen a tester with red and green LEDs that tells you if the port
    is wired okay, reversed or no power. I don't know if it tells you about
    5 V on the data lines.
    , Oct 1, 2013