    The motherboard is fairly new.
    System is Dell Dimension E520.
    OS is Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.

    species8350, Sep 17, 2013

  2. species8350

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 17/09/2013 12:48 AM, species8350 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I believe that my my front usb ports may be faulty.
    >
    > Is the a free software package that can tell me if the fault lies with the front ports, or the motherboard?
    >
    > Thanks

    Usually it may be a hardware fault, such as some bad soldiering on some
    ports which create a lack of connection from time to time. Check the
    front ports out by connecting various different devices with various
    different cables.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Sep 22, 2013

  3. species8350

    Guest

    On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:48:23 PM UTC+8, species8350 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I believe that my my front usb ports may be faulty.
    >

    > Is the a free software package that can tell me if the fault lies with the front ports, or the motherboard?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Ps. The rear usb ports work well.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the drivers.
    >
    > The motherboard is fairly new.
    >
    > System is Dell Dimension E520.
    >
    > OS is Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.

    Also there are 3 different ways that USB connectors are wired.
    It could be that the pins on the mainboard are different to the connector
    to your case front panel.
    I have seen a tester with red and green LEDs that tells you if the port
    is wired okay, reversed or no power. I don't know if it tells you about
    5 V on the data lines.

    , Oct 1, 2013