Texas Instruments Cardbus / Wireless PCMCIA problems

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Max Power, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Max Power

    Max Power Guest

    hi,

    I have a problem with a laptop on which I'm trying to install
    a wireless pcmcia card onto.

    Basically it seems the card was working for a while. Then
    suddenly it stopped. And it refuses to light up or install the
    drivers or anything. I've tried 2 different wireless cards
    so it is definitely not a faulty card. When I click on the
    cardbus monitor it recognises a card has been inserted
    but shows it as 'unknown device', and therefore refuses
    to install the drivers.

    The laptop is a compaq running windows me.

    Is there anything else I can try before I go and fork out
    for a usb network adapter. Is it likely that the slot
    is knackered? Are there any new 'cardbus' drivers I can install?

    TIA.

    Max Power, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Max Power

    Jonathan Guest

    I hate to say it but it sounds like you're headed towards a WinME re-install
    if you want to get your PC Card slot back.

    To my knowledge there are no driver updates for the PC Card controllers.

    Have you tried using control panel to remove the PC Card controller, and
    then reboot and let WinME "discover" this device and re-install the driver?

    good luck,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Nov 13, 2003