    This is a Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz, 512 MB nVIDIA GeoForce
    8800GT

    Any ideas anyone please?

    Terry Pinnell, May 18, 2010

  2. Terry Pinnell

    peter Guest

    Please tell us the make and model of your monitor and its settings
    Do you have cleartype turned on??

    peter

    peter, May 18, 2010

  3. Len, Peter: Thanks both, appreciate the fast responses. Cleartype is enabled.
    And text elsewhere does seem OK. Reckon I was imagining it earlier.

    Further tests seem to show that this serious and strange problem is confined
    to the latest version of Google Earth, v 5.1.3533. I uninstalled it and
    installed GE 4.3.7284 and that is OK.

    Yet I've been running GE 5.1.3533 for some weeks and only today has this
    problem arisen.

    Could those vertical separators appearing in my text when composing messages
    in my email/newsreader program (Agent) or browser (Firefox) somehow be
    connected?

    Terry Pinnell, May 18, 2010
  4. Thanks, no, that's set to 'Allow application to handle', or words along those
    lines.

    Terry Pinnell, May 19, 2010
  5. From the Agent newsgroup, that turns out to be directly associated with
    Cleartype, although that particular long-standing bug is unique to Agent.
    Here's a screenshot for the curious:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/AgentTextProblem.jpg

    At present I'm still using the old version 4 of GE top which I reverted
    yesterday. That continues to display correctly. But I haven't yet tried
    re-installing GE version 5.

    BTW, I found and used the Microsoft Cleartype Tuner as a result of this
    research.

    Any other insights/suggestions would be appreciated please.

    Terry Pinnell, May 19, 2010