    --

    Sam

    Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.

    Salmon Egg, Jan 13, 2014

  2. Salmon Egg

    dorayme Guest

    What happens on my Snow Leopard Text Edit search is a brief flash in
    greenish yellow on the word followed by leaving the word selected in
    the grey. This might be due to my system wide prefs. I have Graphite
    set for Highlight color in Appearance and that is what TextEdit uses
    to leave it highlighted, the brief yellow/greenish attention grabbing
    flash might be something TextEdit decides to do.

    What have you got set for Highlight color in Appearance in System
    Prefs? Perhaps it is a bit grey and your monitor is not bright enough
    to make it noticeable?

    dorayme, Jan 13, 2014

  3. If I open text document, then enter a word in the Find dialog and click
    OK, it will go to the first instance of that word and set the cursor
    there. AFAIK, that's the same behavior as Word.

    What are you seeing?

    Michael Vilain, Jan 13, 2014
  4. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    Thank you and Michael Villain who also replied.

    From these replies, I think the following is happening (I have not
    checked it out.).

    Because of vision problems, I use inverse video. Because of that, I see
    the flash, but when it reverts to steady state, the highlighting is of
    such a nature that I cannot distinguish it from the background.

    Before posting this, I did check it out. My explanation seems to be
    correct. It was very difficult to see the highlighting in direct or
    inverse video. Magnification (command option 8) helped. The cursor did
    not show. I now believe that happens the highlighted word is selected so
    any typing replaces the word and the cursor reappears.

    When the search window was closed, the selected word appeared
    highlighted with a very clearly visible color. If I now click at a spot
    in the document and use command G, the target word flashes but remains
    highlighted.

    My conclusion: Searching a targeted word from the Find window behaves
    differently than finding from a spot in the document with a command G.
    That is, if the Find window is active, the found target is highlighted
    differently than when it is not active.

    Salmon Egg, Jan 13, 2014
  5. That is true for (almost?) all apps. If the Find window is active,
    click in the content window, and the highlighting will revert to the
    one you can see. You can then use Command-G to locate additional
    instances of the found item.

    If you update your system so you can use TextEdit 1.9, you won't have
    this problem because there is no Find window; instead, the Find
    function is at the top of the content window, and the result is
    highlighted normally. Also, additional found items are highlighted in
    white against a medium grey background. Here is an example:

    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50314006/find highlight.png>

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 13, 2014
  6. Salmon Egg

    Alan Browne Guest

    On my machine (10.9) a find:

    - grey's the entire text background
    - highlights the first instance of the word after the current cursor
    position in yellow, other instances in white.

    - as soon as I point with the mouse, it reverts to white BG and
    highlights of instances disappear.

    Alan Browne, Jan 17, 2014