TH7-II RAID replacement?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Pheasant Plucker®, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. My TH7-II RAID has served me well being quick & robust over the last 3 years
    and has coped with everything I have ever thrown at it - (the same applied
    to my previous mobo, the Asus P2B-LS which also had a 3 year life-cycle).

    I am however looking for a replacement for the TH7 because I am being held
    back by the CPU speed - currently 2.2GHz - but limited I believe to 2.4GHz
    even if you can still find those 400MHz CPU's

    Were it not for the fact that I need to use a faster processor I would most
    definitely keep it as it gives me everything else I need in a mobo - apart
    maybe from those hard to find RAMBUS RIMMS of which I have 1GB but would
    have liked to doubled to 2GB!

    I also still have a need for ATA RAID - not SATA - and SCSI on an Intel
    chipset.

    The lack of PCI slots on the latest crop of motherboards also restricts me
    as all 5 PCI slots on the Abit are all currently full;

    Yamaha SW1000XG
    Creamware PowerPulsar
    Canopus DVStorm2
    Adaptec 29160
    3Com 3C200

    I guess I could live without the 3COM NIC if the new motherboard has GB LAN
    onboard (and possibly SCSI also) which would bring the required PCI slot
    count down from 5 to 3

    Does anyone have any recommendation(s) on what motherboard(s) I should look
    at as a replacement?

    Apologies for the crosspost - methinks I need to broaden my horizons and in
    any case I need to hedge my bets! ;^)

    Pheasant Plucker®, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Pheasant Plucker®

    abc Guest

    I'm still using a TH7-II RAID. It works quite happily with a 533fsb
    Northwood P4 3.06GHz CPU. I've clocked the FSB to 140 and it runs at
    3.2GHz. You can still get Rambus RIMMS - I've got 2gig in mine (4x 512
    PC-800 RIMMS). You have to run the memory at 133x3 (400) as it can't
    take running at 133x4 (533). I've got a 256MB Geforce 6800 Ultra in
    there as well and it absolutely flies. No plans to upgrade for a while
    yet!

    abc, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Pheasant Plucker®

    John Lewis Guest

    Answered my implicit question for my TH7-IIRAID (in which I am about
    to install a 3.06 processor, DU BIOS) that I asked in the other
    posting by PP......... thanks !! At the latest <$200 for the 3.06,
    this gives plenty of breathing room for the PCI express/AMDvsIntel
    64-bit wars/90nm leakage/premium-prices-for-new-technology all to be
    resolved, probably within the next year. I bought the TH7-IIRAID for
    its long-term-survival prospects. Looks as if it will survive through
    the end of the 478-pin era. Wonderful MB, IDE-RAID too for those who
    need it (upgraded with DU to v2.34); one of the very best that Abit
    ever produced - shares that honor with the famous BH6, IMHO.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Aug 31, 2004
  4. If I understand the following link correctly we will be glad we didn't jump
    to Socket 775 straight away...seems it might be short-lived...

    DigiTimes http://tinyurl.com/3jxxe

    PC Pro http://tinyurl.com/jnh6

    Regards,
    -=pp=-

    Pheasant Plucker®, Sep 1, 2004
  5. Same with me ,still quite happy with my Th7 II with P4 2,[email protected] .Waiting
    the new P4 with ESS technologie and new chipset Lakewood and BTX case ,which
    will bring me to upgrade at Q1 2005 !

    Daniel Kalnins, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Pheasant Plucker®

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    unless you have a gigbit switch, and all the other devices you are using can
    also do gigabit, you wont gain anything over a good onboard 10/100.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Sep 18, 2004