    However 2.5 and 2.6 ghz versions of the chip are also available - has anyone
    tried one with this board? Would it be stable?

    Thanks

    mmartins, Jul 10, 2003

  2. mmartins

    h2so4 Guest

    Yes you can run the higher specced CPUs you mention. In fact, provided that
    you have the correct revision of the BIOS you can also run the 533 FSB PIVs
    in the TH7IIR. I think but am not certain that I've seen a reference on the
    Abit fora to someone who is running a 800 FSB chip on this mobo.
    I no longer have a TH7IIR but it is a fine board in my experience, which is
    why I upgraded to an IS7-G. Sadly the new board is a little buggy and more
    difficult to set up and run stably.

    h2so4, Jul 11, 2003

  3. mmartins

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Generally motherboard manufacturers certify a motherboard model only for CPU
    speeds that are available when the motherboard is put on the market... how
    could they do otherwise?

    There is no Pentium 4 2.5 GHz, so the only Pentium 4 with a clock speed
    higher than 2.4 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB is the Pentium 4 2.6 GHz. The latest
    BIOS update version for the TH7-II has multipliers up to 24 X, but since the
    multiplier for all Pentium 4 CPU's is locked, the setting of this multiplier
    in or by the BIOS has no effect.

    Anyway, moving to a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz 400 MHz FSB to a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz FSB
    CPU may not be a good gain for the money since you can likely overclock to
    the same performance level with your current CPU for no additional cost at
    all. Further, with current memory and cpu prices at low prices, you
    consider a Pentium 4 "C" (800 MHz FSB and hyperthreading), DDRRAM, and a
    compatible motherboard.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 11, 2003
  4. mmartins

    mmartins Guest

    Thanks for the info, I'll prolly hold back and get a 3 ghz chip when prices
    come down a little more

    mmartins, Jul 12, 2003
  5. mmartins

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Well no, that would not work with your motherboad as it is strictly a 400
    MHz FSB motherboard and the Pentium 4 3GHz CPU is a 800 MHz FSB CPU and
    would require an 800 MHz FSB capable motherboard. The Pentium 4 3.06 GHz
    CPU requires a 533 MHz FSB capable motherboard. The only reasonable ways to
    increase the performance of your system are to

    A. overclock with your present components
    B. replace the CPU, motherboard, and memory.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 12, 2003
  6. mmartins

    John Lewis Guest

    Sorry, wrong !!!

    The TH7-II is a "400MHz" AND "533MHz" motherboard, the 100MHz-clocked
    RDRAM can perfectly co-exist with the 133MHz FSB processor. See the
    current soft-menu settings for samples of default 133 MHz processors.
    The 3.06GHz/533 processor will be perfectly happy. However, HT mode
    will not be available, the 850 chip-set does not support the function.

    A 3GHz/800 will not be happy at all...............

    If I recall correctly, you may also need the latest BIOS update to get
    the 23x multiplier that the 3.06 requires.

    See the BIOS documentation on the Abit web-site.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 12, 2003
  7. mmartins

    John Lewis Guest

    A further note of warning..............even with the latest BIOS, the
    highest multiplier setting is 24x. Thus the highest frequency 100 MHz
    FSB processor completely compatible is 2.4GHz.
    Use 133MHz FSB processors --- see my other posting.............

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 12, 2003
  8. mmartins

    mmartins Guest

    Hi again

    I've just fitted a 3.06/533 chip to the board and it's running fine. HT is
    disabled as expected but I still get a very nice 60% speed increase over my
    old 2.0 Willamette CPU

    Thanks for all your help,
    Mike

    mmartins, Jul 20, 2003