    Pete D Guest

    HAHAHAHAHAHA, you're so funny and stupid at the same
    time....................

    Pete D, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Luke Piasecki

    Scotter Guest

    I went from an nVidia Ti4200 to a FX5950 Ultra 256meg card (an entire
    generation faster than the Ti4200 and comparable to ATi's high end 9800
    card) to an FX6800 GT and the new card runs Doom3 at higher rez and faster,
    Unreal Tournament 04 higher rez and faster, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War higher
    rez and faster, and FarCry higher rez and faster. Oh and 3dBench05 score
    went from around 1500 to around 5000.

    FACT: There is no software in existence where the FX5950ultra is not faster
    than a Ti4200.
    FACT: There is doubtful any software where the ATi9600 is faster or equal to
    the FX5950ultra
    FACT: There is no software in existence where the FX6800GT is not faster
    than the FX5950ultra.
    FACT: The FX6800GT is TWO generations newer than the Ti4200 and one
    generation newer than the FX5950ultra.
    THEREFORE, knowing all the above facts, logic would dictate that if your
    system is running SLOWER with the obviously better card, something is wrong
    and least likely the problem is the new card, IMHO, unless you got a lemon.
    So yeah, it is within the realm of logic to assume you got a lemon, as long
    as you already tried all the stuff I suggest below. But it is not logical to
    assume the problem is ALL 6800GT cards because YOU are having a problem.
    Make sense?

    More likely, your system is not beefy enough in one way or another to
    support the new card. I wonder if the makers of these cards or nVidia has a
    minimum CPU/RAM requirement? I'd guess for this level of card you would need
    at least an 1800 rated CPU and 512MB RAM to really start taking advantage of
    the card. They sure have a minimum recommended power supply requirement! Did
    you get the latest drivers for the 6800GT? Were you careful to use something
    like DriverCleaner to get your old drivers fully erased from your system?
    Did you plug the molex (power) plug into the card after you plugged the card
    into the motherboard? Did you make sure to use one of those power plugs that
    is on it's own wire and not on a wire that splits and gives it's other plug
    to some other device? I've heard that can cause the video card to not get
    enough power. What rating is your power supply? Your CPU ghz? How much RAM
    in your system?

    Good luck with that new card. Once you get it running right, wow, you should
    see a BIG time improvement... at least in games. I'm not sure about your SI
    XSI software. Does it use DirectX(?#?) or OpenGL or... ?

    Scotter, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Luke Piasecki

    Scotter Guest

    Scotter, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Luke Piasecki

    Chip Guest

    If you had wanted help, all you had to do was ask for it. You didn't. You
    just made stupid comments about nvidia making new chips slower than ti4200.
    YOU made yourself look completely stupid. You didn't need any help in doing
    that.

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Luke Piasecki

    Vu Guest

    look - if you really don't like the card you can just send to me,
    I'll find a use for it :)

    Vu.

    Vu, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Larry, this could be a problem indeed... I'm wondering if any of the
    Detonator removal tools or Registry Cleaners would help, followed by
    reinstallation. I've tried about 5 different drivers with no luck.

    Luke Piasecki, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Scooter, notice two things. I said 'high end graphics software'. That means
    that no matter what the specs, benchmarks say or games, the fact is that I
    got a huge performance drop. So quoting games and benchmarks is of no use
    because it's a different ballgame! With 66.82 drivers, XSI will not even
    boot! So my point was that yes, the game performance is much better, but the
    3d apps performance dropped a lot. This CAN be caused by bad drivers or bad
    implementation!

    Luke Piasecki, Oct 22, 2004
  8. again, specs mean NOTHING!!! Take any low end Quadro side by side with
    newest geForce and Quadro will beat the hell out of 6800! Why? 6800 has so
    much better specs! It's because of DRIVERS!!! In drivers for instance you
    have hardware overlay support enabled etc.

    Luke Piasecki, Oct 22, 2004
  9. Luke Piasecki

    First of One Guest

    I've noticed a performance drop in Pro/Engineer with the latest drivers,
    too. Were you comparing the 6800GT and Ti4200 on the same driver version?

    First of One, Oct 23, 2004
  10. Luke Piasecki

    Chip Guest

    You really have no clue about anything, do you.

    Chip, Oct 23, 2004
  11. Luke Piasecki

    neopolaris Guest

    OPERATOR ERROR

    neopolaris, Oct 23, 2004
  12. Your stupid.

    lonesw0rdsman, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Luke Piasecki

    Chip Guest

    I think you mean "You're stupid".

    Ironic really. And ever so slightly amusing ;-)

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Luke Piasecki

    J. Clarke Guest

    If you put that "low end Quadro" next to the equivalent model GeForce you'll
    find that the only differences are the firmware, the quality of the
    capacitors, and the label. Now why would nvidia go to all the bother of
    making super high performance drivers and then only make them available for
    the boards with the Quadro brand and not with the geForce brand.

    The important difference is the direction in which the firmware was
    tuned--with a "workstation board" it's generally optimized for OpenGL while
    for a "gamer board" it's generally optimized for DirectX.

    In fact it is possible to convert the boards back and forth in some cases
    simply by reflashing the firmware.

    J. Clarke, Nov 5, 2004