The bad just got badder.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006

  2. lgreenwood

    Kevin Guest

    The frustration with off-shore support and the move to off-shore labor and
    production in general is that there is not a damn thing we consumers can do
    about it. All the major players have gone this route. It is saving them
    millions of dollars a year and they aren't going to go back. If they did,
    you could expect to say goodbye to computers costing $300.

    It's not personal, it's business.

    Kevin, Mar 20, 2006

  3. lgreenwood

    Tom Lake Guest

    IIRC, whenever a member of the Family said those words, a person ended up just as
    dead as if it were personal!

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 20, 2006
  4. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    I disagree.

    It's not a matter of the companies not being able to afford to manufacture
    $300 computers, it's just that they wouldn't see multi-billion dollar profits.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 20, 2006
  5. lgreenwood

    journey Guest

    F*** this trend of moving overseas. We are going to be a shell of a
    country. We are a house of cards as it is.

    Unfortunately, overseas support, including Dell's India support, are
    getting better. They make heavy use of rating and metrics.

    China sends 5 times as many people to engineering and computer-related
    schools than the U.S. Some government officials say that's OK, our
    workforce is better.

    Yeah, and Windows got a lot better with it's 3rd or 4th iteration,
    just as overseas engineers, computer professionals, and other
    technlogists will be better.

    Two major forces: 1) Billions of highly skilled workers coming
    online (both meanings) and 2) Less people are needed to do jobs as
    things get even more mechanized, as the digital revolution changes
    many paradigms, and as business continues to be leaner and meaner.

    Less jobs, more workers = disaster of some kind.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 20, 2006
  6. lgreenwood

    Tom Simchak Guest

    Of course China sends 5X as many people to engineering and tech-related
    schools as the US...they have 5X the population. Now if the per capita
    figure was 5X, then that would be something entirely different.

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak, Mar 20, 2006
  7. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    Engineering, etc., has nothing to do with it.

    The problem isn't dealing with educated, English speaking support,
    it's dealing with script readers, whose English is, at times, barely
    intelligible.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 20, 2006
  8. lgreenwood

    journey Guest

    I realize that the number is proportional to the population, but still
    if those 5X as many people are as capable, they will be able to
    produce more and better.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 20, 2006
  9. lgreenwood

    Box134 Guest

    I've not needed support, fingers crossed, so I can't say good or bad about
    India. Seems to me our leaders are missing something.... the more we export
    jobs, the fewer people back home can afford to buy what they're selling. In
    the long run it seems to be a self-defeating proposition. When boosting the
    economic status of people overseas impoverishes your own country it doesn't
    make sense. You decease the number of people who can earn a decent living,
    pay taxes, and look after their families. Business leaders and investors
    benefit, but they're already well off.

    I don't know the answer.

    Box134, Mar 20, 2006
  10. lgreenwood

    journey Guest

    Very true. As a software engineer, I developed a scripting engine for
    phone support (until it was replaced with a vendor package). The
    people in India obviously read from a script. It's a pretty good
    script now though.

    I have hung up on people who I could not understand (which was rude, I
    could have said that I can't understand your English so I need to hang
    up and talk to someone else -- However many times I was put on hold
    only to have the line eventually drop).

    A few things bugged me about the phone connections. On one day it
    seemed like all the connections to India were bad (or maybe I was just
    unlucky). I could barely hear the support person, and she kept asking
    for me to speak louder. It had to talk really loud.

    Last Friday, there was a delay, and I'd say something and then go on
    to something else and in the middle of the second sentence she would
    say "uh huh", relating to my prior sentence.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 20, 2006
  11. The "already well off" don't mind, in the slightest, impoverishing their own
    country. The restructuring of the US economy into a third world model with
    a small super rich elite and a struggling majority is largely intentional
    and viewed as highly desirable by the radical right that dominates today.
    Money translates to power in this society and an impoverished majority helps
    guarantee a small elite permanent power and wealth. It makes perfect sense
    if you understand that.

    Phil A. Buster, Mar 20, 2006
  12. lgreenwood

    journey Guest

    You put that into words very well. There are a lot of sheep being led
    to slaughter who don't realize what is happening.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 20, 2006
  13. lgreenwood

    Leythos Guest

    Except he got it wrong - it's the left that creates sheep, wants to have
    an entitlement society, and needs people to feel that they can only get
    ahead if the world provides for them.

    Leythos, Mar 20, 2006
  14.
    Phil A. Buster, Mar 20, 2006
  15. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Well said. Maybe Dell needs to hear that everyone is willing to pay
    more for pcs, if the service can be improved. After all what good is a
    purchase if you problems with it and can not get the problems resolved.
    For those who happen to get a Dell pc and are lucky enough to not have
    any problems are OK with the cheaper product. .

    But then that makes a Dell purchase a crap shoot, especially if you
    encounter a problem. If you encounter a problem, then plan on spending
    at least a full day (in some cases maybe even more on the phone or over
    email to attempt to get the problem resolved.

    Have we reached a point that purchasing a cheaper product is simply not
    worth the gamble any more? From the postings in this group, that very
    thing may be a serious consideration in buying a cheaper product.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006
  16. lgreenwood

    journey Guest

    Deficit - $9 Trillion and counting. Burden of national "defense" to
    the tune of $400 Billion? (plus or minus) that other countries don't
    have. Playing field = not level. Oh, but let's cut taxes -- that's
    the ticket! Aircraft carrier battle fleet + one nuclear bomb lobbed
    overhead with a Korean miscle. Hmm, the power to project force
    diminishes every day. Aunts and Uncles in their 70's oblivious, or in
    it for their short-term benefit -- l'd think they'd care more about
    their grandchildren.

    Back to regular programming ...

    Journey

    journey, Mar 20, 2006
  17. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    That's exactly what it's come down to.

    When you you purchase an "economy model," with minimal support, you get what
    you pay for.

    In order to get a high quality system, with matching support, it'll cost ya.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 20, 2006
  18. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    I wonder how many in this group would be willing to pay more for a Dell
    pc is the service improved. However in reality, I seriously doubt if
    that would happen because Dell like other pc assemblers simply can not
    compete in the current market where cheaper computers are in high
    demand.

    My feeling is that people would rather take a chance on a cheaper
    product.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006
  19. lgreenwood

    Leythos Guest

    I never buy "Cheap" computers and am more than willing to purchase
    quality support for an additional fee.

    Purchasing cheap computers, like the old Dimension 2400, was a waste of
    money for anyone.

    Leythos, Mar 20, 2006
  20. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    I would ditto that! What good is an expensive service agreement when
    you still can not get connected to a knowledgeable tech who can speak
    English. How about the rest of you all.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006