    about your situation. And no I don't approve of lying. So I guess
    that the home user who don't want to lie is shit out of luck!

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006

  2. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    Is English your first language? Your second?

    I'm gonna try, one more time, 'cause you don't seem to be listening.

    ASK THE SALESPERSON IF GOLD TECH SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE!!!

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 20, 2006

  3. lgreenwood

    Leythos Guest

    I didn't ask for a lecture on ethics, I presented a viable option that
    does not require most home users to lie about it. Most home users do
    some form of business work, taking home work from the office, etc... So,
    there is no reason you can't identify yourself as a business - even a
    single person company qualifies as a business under the IRS rules (see
    section C of the 1040).

    So, if you don't see any way to be a business, then don't do it, I don't
    advocate making false claims to anyone, but, as with most people, some
    will be able to call some part of what they do a business.

    If you do the books for the church you are an accountant, if you help
    with school tasks you are a teacher/aid, if you do work from home for
    the company you are a remote worked and are a business....

    You can't get the GOLD level service for Residential buyers, because
    residential users are typically inept and ignorant, and the gold plan is
    for a higher tech level of people to reach higher level tech support
    people. It doesn't take GOLD level support to tell you to put your
    restore CD in the drive and reboot the computer, or that the reason your
    screen is blank is because you didn't push the power button on the
    computer/monitor/power-strip.

    Leythos, Mar 20, 2006
  4. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Notan my friend, I have a very good command of the English language.
    However if someone orders off the web, then the " gold option" is not
    available. If as you suggest that the "gold option" is available, if
    you order by telephone then fine. When I order my next laptop, then I
    will ask for the "gold service option". But how many people on this
    list know that. Thanks for your insight. Now for all of you who
    complain about Dell serivce, order your laptop over the telephone and
    tell Dell than you want the "gold tech support" and that you are will
    to pay for it! And for God's sake quit bitching and complaining about
    Dell tech support!

    There that should take care of the ts service with Dell, right?

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006
  5. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    Again, these topics have been discussed, in this newsgroup, for years.

    Before you drop in, with these great new revelations, check to see if
    they're really new.

    "How many people on this list know that?"

    All the regulars do. And the irregulars <g>? Most of them know, also,
    as they've taken the time to search the newsgroup.

    SEARCH THE NEWSGROUP!

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 20, 2006
  6. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Then, the question remains Notan, Why are they still bitching? If
    they don't want to pay for the "gold tech support" then I have no
    issue. Indeed as you say, if you order from Dell then request the
    gold service. That doesn't seem to me to be rocket science. As I
    said I will request gold tech support on my next order. That advice I
    got from you.

    So again folks if you want good service without the India support
    problem, order "gold tech support." Thanks for that insight Notan.
    Now there should be no problem, if you are will to ask for it by
    telephone and are willing to pay for it.. Don't order over the web.
    You won't get the gold support as an option if you do. . I might add
    that for years Dell service has been excellent until recently. But
    with your suggestion about gold tech support the complainers have
    nothing to complain about!

    So I agree with you 100%. And again I thank you for your insight. So
    what's the problem?

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 20, 2006
  7. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    I'd say the vast majority of buyers want the least expensive system
    that's available. They're even willing to accept a 90 day warranty,
    in order to keep the price down.

    Dell's done a HUGE business, by meeting these buyers' needs.

    On the other side of the coin are those buyers that are willing to
    spend some money. In the big scheme of things, these buyers tend to
    be business buyers. For those buyers, Dell offers great systems,
    with support to match. The caveat is cost.

    Do I think that deluxe support should be OFFERED to Home buyers,
    or buyers of the "$299" systems? Absolutely. And, does Dell listen
    to what I think? Absolutely not.

    Clearly, their business model makes sense to them. And, equally
    clear is the fact that it's working, at least for them. Look at
    their year-end reports. They're certainly not "just squeaking by."

    You (the generic "you") have a choice: Spend as little as possible
    and get as little as possible, or spend lots and get lots.

    I doubt that's ever gonna change.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 21, 2006
  8. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Leythos

    I didn't give you a lecture on ethics. You mentioned that Dell users
    have to lie about their situation as a home user. I just didn't want
    that issue attributed to me. You said it. You maybe right for all I
    know. If you are right then members of this group may or may not want
    to follow your advice. Right or wrong, each member of this group will
    have to answer to his or her own conscious about it. Whether or not
    you are right or wrong is not for me to decide.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  9. lgreenwood

    Leythos Guest

    Anyone willing to purchase a $299 computer would have to pay $299 in
    order to make support economical for Dell - most of the people I've
    seen/read about that purchase those $299 systems don't know anything
    about computers, or they would have purchased something else.

    Leythos, Mar 21, 2006
  10. lgreenwood

    Leythos Guest

    If you learn to quote Usenet posts properly you won't have to worry
    about others mistaking who said what or when.

    Try using a Usenet client application instead of the google web
    interface, it will open a new world to you.

    Leythos, Mar 21, 2006
  11. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Leythos,

    I am not sure what you mean. Your quote, which is to expire in a few
    days, said that:
    "
    The difference between purchasing from Home or Business is what you
    tell
    the Dell sales drone - call yourself a business and pay with your
    personal card."

    leaves little to the imagination. I don't fault you for say this as
    it may or may not be the case. I am puzzled about what you mean about
    my using Usenet posts properly. It is what you said. If you think
    that way then be a man and stand up for your convictions. Don't come
    back at me for improper use of Usenet posts. After all, you said it
    fella.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  12. lgreenwood

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I haven't needed much Tech Support, but I purchased the XPSGEN5 because
    they indicated special support. I purchased a SATA hard drive and had
    to call TS. I got a gentlemen with an Indian Accent. I could
    understand everything he said and in less then 20 minutes he had the
    hard drive recognized and formatted for me. Had I taken the time to read
    the manual, I could have done it myself but I wanted to see what kind of
    TS I would get. I got great support.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Mar 21, 2006
  13. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    My congratulations to you, because you have won in the "crap shoot."
    Consider your self lucky. If the solution the guy from India didn't
    work, then that is another problem. The problem that I am talking
    about. I too had a great and friendly guy from India propose that I
    needed to reload the drivers. I did. But it still didn't work. Bad me
    because it didn't work.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  14. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    It wasn't a crap shoot for Joan.

    She *payed* for better-than-average support.

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 21, 2006
  15. lgreenwood

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Thanks Notan, I think Larry just wants some attention. :)

    Joan Hansen, Mar 21, 2006
  16. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    Well, Ms Hansen, wait till you have a problem with the India fellas
    that that they can not easily resolve, then see. I sincerely hope that
    I am wrong as I am still dependent upon Dell support.

    Llarry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  17. lgreenwood

    Tom Scales Guest

    Might have even *paid* for better-than-average support. Or did you mean
    spayed.

    Tom Scales, Mar 21, 2006
  18. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    How do you know that she had the gold option? I didn't see it., As
    I already said I will chose the gold option when I order another laptop
    from Dell. She just got lucky.

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  19. lgreenwood

    lgreenwood Guest

    BTW,. if it helps your piece of mind, yah, I just need attention!

    Larry

    lgreenwood, Mar 21, 2006
  20. lgreenwood

    Notan Guest

    Y'know I saw that one after I posted, but hoped that no one else would.

    Thanks, Tom! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Mar 21, 2006