The Cancerous 4PDA2+ machine, new mobo--no joy

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Dave, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    The Continuing 4PDA2+ nightmare.....

    Antec SLK3700BQE case
    P4 2.8 ghz
    2 - 256 meg PC3200 crucial, dual channel
    Zalman CNPS7000Cu cooler/Arctic Silver 5
    Antec trupower 430 w psu
    Radeon 9600
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    36 gig Raptors Raid 0
    Maxtor slaves
    Win2K SP2
    No OC, standard timings

    As noted in a previous thread, I was having stability problems with my
    4PDA2+ machine. BSOD on boot, spontaneous reboots, etc. Turns out
    there were failing caps all over that board.

    So I bought and installed a new 4PDA2+. The system is still
    unstable. No BSOD on boot or spontaneous reboots--now I have
    spontaneous shutdowns.

    It is not the psu, ram, video card, or drives--all changed out. A
    typical crash scenario is to start an AVG scan with Outlook Express,
    Firefox, and Agent running--shutdown. But I've had shutdowns with the
    machine simply idling with OE, Firefox and Agent running.

    I've ghosted back to several installations known to be good with no
    change in behavior. Crashes are not restricted necessarily to one or
    two running process scenarios, so I don't think it's a software
    problem.

    I'm suspecting CPU damage from the old bad-cap board, but running CPU
    Burn-in and Prime95 simultaneously--100% cpu usage--will not make it
    crash.

    Disabling the ACPI shutdown temperature function in BIOS seems to have
    improved the situation (Faulty temp sensing, which I had on #1
    4PDA2+?). Bumping up Vcore and Vdimm 0.1 volts seems to have improved
    things a bit more, but hard to tell with a problem such as this. Too
    intermittent and unpredictable.

    I can only tentatively conclude that my CPU is marginal or the new
    mobo is defective. It is tempting to completely scrap the Epox build
    and go with another brand mobo at this point. Maybe AMD as well.
    Dave
    [It's possible that the Zalman/Arctic silver installation is
    incorrect, but I doubt it. I've done it too many times.]

    Dave, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Dave

    dave Guest

    Yeah, I would suspect shutdown temp in bios triggering this. What kind of
    temps are you seeing? Is there an updated bios for the motherboard? You
    might also try another PSU (3rd).

    DaveL

    dave, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Dave

    Zed Guest

    Dave,
    30 C at idle, 45-50 at 100%. 70 F ambient. Think it has latest
    bios--4/19/04, but think bios is buggy. Maybe a re-flash?

    I've had ACPI shutdown temp disabled and it's been fine.

    I should buy a new beefy PSU. I'll use it in my next build if I have
    to throw this thing out the window. Thanks for your response.
    Dave

    Zed, Feb 20, 2007
  4. Dave

    dave Guest

    A bios either works or it doesn't. No need to reflash. What you might try
    is to flash back to a previous bios. But I think this board or it's bios
    has a problem with APCI implementation. I think disabling APCI is your work
    around.

    DaveL

    dave, Feb 20, 2007
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave,
    You're right--it looks like disabling APCI is a work around. Behavior
    is improved--no shutdowns since, but I've had a lock-up on boot. Not a
    bsod, just a lock midway through boot-up.

    Reboot was ok and the machine is definitely useable, but I really
    dislike situations like this. I'm loathe to throw any more time or
    money into this "aging" machine. The temptation is a new build.

    What would you do? New build or continue troubleshooting this thing?
    If new, Intel or AMD and what mobo? P965's like Asus P5B-xx or Giga
    GA-965P-S3 plus some C2d variant seem popular, but I thought I read
    you mentioning AMD socket 939 as the way to currently go in a previous
    thread. I've read a ton and it's overwhelming, as usual. Tom's and
    Anand, for example, worry too much about OCing, which I think is
    nuts.

    Too bad, since a fully functional 4pda2+ platform offers more than
    enough of everything for me for quite a while. I've got an 8K7A+
    machine which with some upgrades (cpu, ram) would be sufficient, but
    everythings going sata, PCIe, etc.
    Dave

    Dave, Feb 21, 2007
  6. Dave

    dave Guest

    If I were you I'd still try another PSU. Preferably a non Antec one. There
    could be a compatibility issue there. But that would probably be the end of
    my troubleshooting. You might try simply replacing the motherboard with
    another 875 based board. That way you would not have to reload the hard
    drive. Beyond that, you could go hog wild and use this as an opportunity to
    make the leap to a Dou Core setup.

    DaveL

    dave, Feb 21, 2007