The dreaded cooling question

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Norm, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Norm

    Norm Guest

    I currently have a Volcano 11 on a Barton 3000, Asus A7N8X mobo, aluminum
    case with 2x120mm fans. I have reset the heat sink twice with AC5.. as an
    effort to get temps down .my temps reach the high 50's under a load.
    (Nothing is over clocked).

    My CPU should be ok with these temps but would like to get to it down few
    points. I also, realize there are allot of variables to cooling solutions. I
    have looked at heat pipes but that seems a little overrated and
    water-cooling is just not an option now.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    I don't mind investing in another heat sink. I'll just add the volcano 11 to
    the graveyard box with many others past heat sinks.

    Thanks

    NC

    Norm, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Norm

    Larry Gagnon Guest

    Fancy heat sink compound is unlikely to reduce your temperatures. It is
    purely a marketing ploy.
    What is you ambient room temperature? Do you have your computer in a
    position where cool air can flow easily into the bottom of the case and
    warmer air can exit and be quickly moved away from the upper rear of the
    case?
    Nothing wrong with the Volcano. I really wouldn't worry about the high
    50's too much. Try overclocking a bit and see what happens. If you get
    over 65 under full load I would then start to worry. Also, there are many
    inconsistencies between various temperature reporting software and
    hardware components.

    Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    Larry Gagnon, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Norm

    Norm Guest

    yes..i heard that about AS products. I have other HS goop... should I give that try? some silver stuff and slicone stuff
    My termastat reads about 73, case temp read 30 cel with MBM5. The box sits on top with plenty of air flow
    my bio temps read about the same as MBM
    Thanks for the reply

    Norm, Sep 13, 2004
  4. Norm

    Wes Newell Guest

    Since you're just looking for lower temps, try the Thermalright ALX-800
    with a good 80mm fan. Should bring down the temps considerably and isn't
    as expensive as the all copper SLK-800 , but does just about as good a
    job, which will be considerably better than the V11, and even quieter.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Thanks Wes..I'll look into that HS
    I was looking at the SP-97...hard to find and I would have to remove the
    mobo to mount...:-(

    Norm, Sep 13, 2004
  6. Norm

    Wes Newell Guest

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2004
  7. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Norm, Sep 15, 2004
  8. Norm

    rstlne Guest

    It's not purely a marketing ploy..
    AS5 is one of the best thermal compounds on the market, It doesnt mean it's
    the only one or the cheapest one but it is one of the best ones. You
    shouldnt give advice if it's going to change someones decision. AS5
    probably does help his temps if it's installed correctly, Keep in mind that
    many thermal compounds you buy are made using the AS4 formula and those
    companys just pay the lisence fee's back to AS. If their product was pure
    crap then of course they wouldnt pay them just to be able to use their
    product under their own name.

    rstlne, Sep 16, 2004
  9. Norm

    Norm Guest

    Wes... good suggestion!! The ALX brought the temp down about 8 degree.
    I would have responded sooner, but hurricane Ivan knocked out my power,
    cable for far about two weeks..:-(

    Norm, Sep 30, 2004