    Frankly I'm surprised that someone like Bill who claims to have been "in
    computers" for 34 years would confuse a thin client with a thin laptop.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2009

  2. css

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    They do, at least the Eee does.

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2009

  3. css

    John Doue Guest

    Depends what you use newspapers and magazines for, I guess :)

    John Doue, Jan 11, 2009
  4. css

    John Doue Guest

    Well, may be if people did not use the word "client" for anything, that
    might help. Just a fad MS originated I guess, but now, people don't use
    software anymore but "clients"! Does not make them any smarter, using a
    word which actually has a very specific meaning, in a very specific
    context most people have no idea about.

    John Doue, Jan 11, 2009
  5. *** The screen may not be able to, but the graphic card can, and will
    when hooked to a capable, external monitor.

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

    Richard Bonner, Jan 11, 2009
  6. *** Given how slim modern computers have become, I can see how that
    train of thought enmerged.

    Richard Bonner, Jan 11, 2009
  7. *** Of, course, I mean that as a joke, the differences being minimal.

    However, in the broader sense, we all are paying more than 99 cents (or
    one dollar) because this flood of cheap goods has cost jobs here in North
    America, they choke our landfills, and the dangerous goods have caused
    deaths and injuries.

    Richard Bonner, Jan 11, 2009
  8. *** Interesting. I thought Sun Microsystems originated the term.

    Richard Bonner, Jan 11, 2009
  9. Per :
    You hang a larger monitor on the video connector and the PC will
    take advantage of the full native resolution of the monitor.

    "19 x 12" being the lazy typist's rendering of 1920 X 1280
    pixels.

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 11, 2009
  10. Per :
    I thought about it too but figured that, being nearsighted, it
    would be a step down in functionality.

    To wit:
    - I usually wear sunglasses outside anyhow, so they might
    as well be prescription. For activities where glasses
    are a hassle, I've got one-day contacts.

    - Without Lasik, I can still work without glasses.
    Need to hold stuff pretty close and move the monitor
    closer, but I can function.

    - With Lasik, I'm totally dependent on reading glasses.
    No glasses, no work... no function...period.
    Especially inconvenient when out riding or whatever
    and I need to read a map. Instead of just flipping
    my specs up, I have do dig out the reading glasses.

    - There has tb a risk factor with Lasik. I don't have a
    clue what it is, but it's got to be there.

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 11, 2009
  11. Per :
    Look into Microsoft's "Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1".

    USB puck.... not all that expensive.

    Then think about hanging a 16 x 12 monitor on it - if it will
    support that rez.

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 11, 2009
  12. Per (PeteCresswell):
    One nice think about that is that most of the time you can wind
    up with two separate desktop spaces if your machine's graphic
    card supports it. i.e. nearly double the desktop space
    depending on the laptop's screen size and the size of the extra
    monitor.

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 11, 2009
  13. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In ~misfit~ typed on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:41:20 +1300:
    [...]
    That is because way back when we called this technology as a terminal
    Shaun. :D

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2009
  14. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In Tony Harding typed on Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:02:38 -0500:
    Oh I don't know if I would like that. Virtually everybody in my family
    are far sighted and they can't see anything close up without reading
    glasses. Of course, they never seem to carry them around with them.

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2009
  15. css

    John Doue Guest

    Well, that's why I have several located everywhere, in my cars, and
    various rooms at home. But my favorite pair, the one I use while
    computing tend to be always misplaced. The same happens for my mobile
    phone, but I cannot very well dial my glasses to find them. Do you have
    a hi-tech solution for that, Bill?

    John Doue, Jan 11, 2009
  16. But in the absence of cheap machines that either have an extra screen
    on the outside, or a screen that can be pivoted so it's viewable with
    the laptop closed, I'd like to see a display option that puts the screen
    in "portrait" mode, ie so you can hold the laptop like a book, and the
    writing is on the left page, and the keyboard (now pretty much useless)
    is on the right. Then you do hold it like a hardcover book.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 11, 2009
  17. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In AJL typed on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:19:21 -0700:
    The EeePC and I am sure others, allows you to rotate the display. I have
    seen this on machines with Intel video chips. The Intel software also
    allows you to use hotkeys to do the rotating.

    On another subject, I heard that future EeePC models will include touch
    screens, so the use of the keyboard will be minimal.

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2009
  18. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In John Doue typed on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:16:28 GMT:
    Yes I do John! You need a pair of smart goggles. ;)

    Just Google "Smart Goggles".

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2009
  19. The longshoreman are hard at work. the truck drivers are hard at work.
    the railroads are hard at work.

    We were choking our own landfills with toxic shit way before China
    started sending tainted products to our shores.

    BTW China takes most of our electronic waste and pays for it.

    http://boingboing.net/images/e-waste-landscape_06.jpg

    $3000 to ship one fully loaded container from East US to China.
    The Chinese companies are paying from 7,000 to 11,000 per container.
    I have seen a container filled in 3 hours by 3 minimum wage workers.
    3 x 7.50 x 3 = 67.50

    $7000.00
    $3067.50
    _________
    $3932.50

    Not bad for a hard days work sending their scrap back to them.

    G.G. Willikers, Jan 11, 2009
  20. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In AJL typed on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:09:19 -0700:
    I don't know if it is possible yet under Linux, but under Windows XP
    Control Panel it is that Intel(r) GMA Driver for Mobile icon (or in the
    System Tray). Then select the Display Settings tab.

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2009