    little dry & scratchy, which went away after a few hours sleep.

    The BIG difference! It's as though someone's turned on the light & made
    colors vivid again

    Tony Harding, Jan 12, 2009

  2. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    ACK! (thanks, John <g>)

    Tony Harding, Jan 12, 2009

  3. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    BINGO, sales just increased tenfold!

    Tony Harding, Jan 12, 2009
  4. correct.

    The only place I see them is hospitals, warehouses, and old magazines.

    Cydrome Leader, Jan 12, 2009
  5. css

    me Guest

    Can you actually buy them at decent price?

    If yes where?

    me, Jan 13, 2009
  6. css

    WSZsr Guest

    thanks. looking forward to it now,

    WSZsr, Jan 13, 2009
  7. *** It faces what I intend to be funny, Frank. Everyone else
    is wrong. (-:

    *** Are those the faceshield type that display on the transparent part
    of a helmut as sort of a heads up display? I would think the fact that the
    display moves with the head would prove to be difficult to get used to.

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

    Richard Bonner, Jan 13, 2009
  8. The ones I have seen are a - large - pair of glasses / spectacles,
    i.e. like sun glasses. AFAIK, the displays/'glasses' themselves are a
    type of heads up display, in the sense that you can see through them,
    but AFAIK, you can also make them non-transparent if that is what you
    want at a given moment.

    Your comment about the display moving with the head is a good one! I
    hadn't thought of that. I don't know if these 'glasses' have motion
    detectors, so that they can make the image move as you move your head.

    In responses to 's question: I don't have any details
    like brand, type, price, etc., but IIRC they were not extremely
    expensive, below US$ 1000 and perhaps evem US$ 500. (That may sound like
    a lot of money, until you need complex 'normal' glasses (which easily
    cost me twice that money).)

    Frank Slootweg, Jan 13, 2009
  9. Per Frank Slootweg:
    Any feeling for approximately what the screen rez is?

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 13, 2009
  10. No.

    But just for kicks, I entered "computer glasses" into Google. That of
    course mainly points to normal glasses for use 'behind' a computer, but
    Google's 'look ahead' mentioned also the "computer glasses monitor"
    category. I clicked that and one of the first hits was
    <http://www.i-glassesstore.com/iglasses-pc-hr.html>.

    The "i-glasses PC/SVGA" mentioned there is much bulkier than the one I
    saw (and says "ITEM HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED"), but that site lists several
    other similar devices.

    There seem to be two categories: The 'PC' ones and the 'video' ones.
    The 'PC' ones are more expensive, have higher resolution and have a
    'normal' PC connection (15 pin VGA). The 'video' ones are much less
    expensive, have a lower resolution and can probably also be connected to
    the video output of a computer.

    So have a look at that and other sites.

    Frank Slootweg, Jan 13, 2009
  11. There are a couple of negative side effects. One is that, although the
    cornea ends up closer to the curve needed to provide correction-free
    viewing of stuff at normal distances, it's often not as smoothly
    spherical as it was before, and resolution suffers. Your sharpest
    vision post-surgery may well be worse than your sharpest vision (with
    glasses) pre-surgery.

    Another is that when it's dark and your pupil opens up, it ends up
    collecting light rays that have not gone through the new well-shaped
    zone on the cornea, so you get phantom unfocused images (in addition to
    the sharp image, which is still there).

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jan 13, 2009
  12. Per Frank Slootweg:
    I went to the local Micro Center (beeeeeeg store...) and they had
    not one but two different sets of monitor specs.

    Ergonomics on both were pitiful and the screen size didn't look
    much more than VGA or maybe SVGA.

    If/when somebody were to come out with something that does say,
    1600 x 1200 or even 1280 x 1024, isn't painful to wear, and only
    has one wire (that plugs into the PC's video port) I think I'd
    jump at it.

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 14, 2009
  13. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    Great, please post back and let us know how it goes.

    Tony Harding, Jan 14, 2009
  14. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    Your call, obviously, I love having 20/20 vision, being able to read the
    clock from bed, no glasses restriction on my license, etc. I do need
    reading glasses, but a +2.5 pair from the drugstore do just fine.

    Tony Harding, Jan 14, 2009
  15. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    At some point no one's arms are long enough. ;)

    Tony Harding, Jan 14, 2009
  16. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    Keep in mind that not everyone has the same skill set or experience. I
    started working with computers when I went to work for IBM in 1965 (yes,
    Virginia, they had computers then). I spent my almost 40 year career
    working with IBM mainframe computers and was busy in the late 90's
    prepping for the Y2K rollover. The trade press was all atwitter about
    thin clients then as it was about "client/server" in the early 90's, all
    very Shakespearean, i.e., a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

    Tony Harding, Jan 14, 2009
  17. css

    John Doue Guest

    This is a far reaching conclusion :)

    John Doue, Jan 14, 2009
  18. css

    BillW50 Guest

    In Tony Harding typed on Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:57:40 -0500:
    Well I don't know how your eyes are. But I can see far if I squint a lot.
    And my right eye is far better than my left for distance. And my right eye
    is legal in some states to drive. Not that I want too though, I like glasses
    far better.

    I was at Sams Club seeing an optometrist of all people back in 2002. All I
    wanted was a new pair of cheap glasses. They had all kinds of fancy
    equipment that I never had seen before and made me go through all kinds of
    tests.

    End results was my eyes can't focus. I replied that I could focus just fine
    before all of these tests. As now my eyes are tired. No comment from the
    so-called professional. And since he figured out I had a lazy eye...
    although you can't tell because I had to train it for like 10 years while I
    was just a kid (unless you get me really drunk or I am very tired). The lazy
    eye came about when they used that tool to pull your head out when you are
    being born. Anyway he decided that I didn't need astigmatism correction
    since my brain doesn't see the same thing from my two eyes anyway.

    What a disaster! The so called new glasses I couldn't even tell where the
    silly fork or spoon was from my face. Worse anything with angles I was
    really now bad at. Like parallel parking or something. I had the experience
    to do it, but everything looked all wrong. I was told that it takes months
    to get used so, so just bare with it. Well it had taken over a year to get
    used to. Far too late to get my money back.

    I saw another optometrist almost two years ago (I'm going again next month)
    and this one said I was lucky. As my left eye can see very close and when
    that fails my right eye takes over and sees the rest of the distance. Makes
    sense to me. My left eye can see about 1 foot or closer. My right, can see
    about 1 foot to 6 foot clearly. Otherwise I need glasses.

    Although if say your eyes can't focus (I was told this happens with old
    age), what good is 20/20 vision? As all that means you can see clearly at so
    and so feet. It means nothing for seeing something really close, right?

    The last optometrist I had seen I had brought my favorite pair of glasses
    that I had for over 30 years ago. And he said my eyesight hasn't changed in
    the last 30 years. I still like them very much as I can see everything from
    one foot to about 20 feet just fine. For driving I got used to the new
    glasses and seeing everything from 6 feet to infinity.

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Jan 14, 2009
  19. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    This is obviously a YMMV issue, but I'm extremely glad I did LASIK - I
    was *very* sick of wearing glasses, which I started wearing at age 10.

    Re: LASIK & risk factors, there certainly is risk involved, it's surgery
    after all and it's on your eyes. I've known personally a couple of
    people who saw halos around lights at night post-op, but I haven't
    experienced it myself. There are some horror stories around as well.
    Moral of the story for me --- find a good surgeon who does the procedure
    frequently with a low rate of post op problems, not the cheapest guy
    with the biggest ad.

    One of my happiest moments post op was when I renewed my drivers license
    and dropped the glasses restriction from it.

    Tony Harding, Jan 15, 2009
  20. css

    Tony Harding Guest

    Pre-op my right eye was weaker than my left one, e.g., the laser burn
    time was 25 seconds on my left eye and 30 on the right one. Before
    surgery I could read anything if I held it about 8" from my face, even
    in poor light. No matter how much I squinted I could never see anything
    clearly at a distance. I'm happy to see we're both happy with our
    eyesight situation.

    Tony Harding, Jan 15, 2009