    Devices Inc., whose chips have drawn praise for outperforming those of
    its much larger rival. AMD will report its fourth-quarter results on
    Wednesday.

    Ilgaz Ocal, Jan 18, 2006

  2. We gave up RISC for x86 competition. Yes, terrible idea.

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Ilgaz Ocal

    Ilgaz Ocal Guest

    OK, I try to end this Mactel saga myself but I can't stand when I see
    news like that.

    Lesson to take:

    ANY chip maker, even the giant Intel can get supply problems. The
    "motherboard" makers Intel speaks about are Asus etc. They are the very
    same companies who actually built Apple machines and I used their
    products in Intel times of mine. Speaking about Asus, if paid enough
    money, they are excellent products. I really hope Mactels will be built
    (or being built) there.

    I didn't "snip" the AMD part too. Looks like AMD didn't have such
    problems and Intel centric media admits their products in this year
    perform better than Intel. Note if I bought a PC today, it would VERY
    unlikely contain AMD but on PC building , I still have the choice. On
    Apple, I do not have the choice.

    Seriously, if Intel loses the monopoly case by AMD, Apple may have to
    (or have opportunity) get rid of "Intel only" stuff and at least gives
    people choice between 2 x86 chips.

    It looks like a poster boy of Intel now sadly.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Ocal, Jan 18, 2006
  4. I don't think you understand antitrust law. If Intel loses, there is
    no way that Apple would be required to offer AMD chips. I realize you
    added "or have opportunity," but Apple already had the opportunity to
    switch to AMD chips and chose not to. Their avowed purpose for doing
    so was Intel's roadmap, not the processors they had available last
    summer. I don't think Apple was so impressed with the Pentium 4, but
    they are impressed with what Intel is planning to do in the future,
    particulary in regards to multi-core processing and power consumption..

    And I think part of the point is that Intel realizes they lost serious
    ground to AMD, and that they developed the new roadmap (which starts
    with the Core Duo) to regain the upper hand. Gone is the
    clock-speed-at-all-costs attitude; actual performance (as shown by the
    multi-core strategy), and performance-per-watt are more current goals.
    Given the performance of the Core Duo and their ability to release
    those processors & support chips on time and in quantity, and looking
    at what Intel has planned in the future, I think they are well on
    their way.

    - geoff

    Geoffrey F. Green, Jan 18, 2006