The Finder is eating my system

Discussion in 'Apple' started by ram, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. ram

    ram Guest

    hi!

    The Finder is taking large amounts of processing time and disc activity
    as shown by Activity Monitor.

    In every other way the computer and all the apps I use (vanilla stuff,
    commercial software, no haxies or confabulator or other stuff, least not
    that I know of) are functioning unremarkably.

    I have gobs of memory and Apple's updates to OSX 10.4.6. I have
    repaired permissions, cleaned out logs, run Disk Warrior and everything
    I can think of yet...

    After some amount of time, the Finder will start discing away and taking
    huge percentages of the available resources on some task it seems to
    never finish.

    I have resorted to relaunching it periodically, which makes it quiet for
    awhile until (I don't know what sets it off, no discernable pattern)
    away it goes again robbing me of my desktop power!

    I would appreciate any theories about what is going on and any pointers
    or suggestions as to what I might try to remedy this.

    ram, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Not for the faint hearted but it should be possible to use ktrace on
    it to work out what it's doing. Possibly some other developer tools as
    well. If you need to ask how then find somebody to do it for you.

    Jon

    Jonathan Schneider, Jul 14, 2006

  3. ram

    matt neuburg Guest

    The only time I've ever seen something like this, the guilty party
    wasn't the Finder, though it was in a sense Finder-related. The cure was
    to remove everything from the Desktop - any chance you've got a lot of
    stuff there?

    Otherwise, I would recommend use of something like Sandal to tell you
    what the disk activity is. This might give you a clue as to what's up.
    m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 14, 2006
  4. ram

    ram Guest

    I do have a lot of junk on the Desktop, just like my real one. :)

    But to be clear in this case the guilty party _is_ the Finder, at least
    that's the process name - do you mean to ssay it still mightn't be the
    Finder, or that in your case it was some other process?

    Sandal looks cool and I think I can hack ktrace/kdump too, I'll be ready
    to try that next time.

    ram, Jul 14, 2006
  5. There was a thread on one of the comp.sys.mac groups a while ago about this, and
    a post to the effect that the Finder sees every icon on the desktop as the
    equivalent of a window, in memory terms.

    John Rethorst, Jul 15, 2006
  6. ram

    matt neuburg Guest

    Right, and in fact it can find some of those "windows" troublesome and
    can wind up writing constantly to the bug log. I found this out when
    windowserver.log got so big that my hard disk filled up! The problem was
    the icons on the desktop. m.

    matt neuburg, Jul 15, 2006
  7. ram

    ram Guest

    Windows. Yikes! Guess that's reason enough to change my (bad) habits...

    Thanks for all the help, let's hope it solves the problem.

    ram, Jul 15, 2006
  8. ram

    Simon Slavin Guest

    Do you have any folders in the Dock ?

    Do you have 'show item info' turned on for anything showing in the Finder,
    especially the Desktop ?

    Simon.

    Simon Slavin, Jul 16, 2006