    Anybody else hope that the future of computing isn't necessarily the
    fastest computers, but the quietest? The fans, the DVD drives, the
    keyboard, and the disk drives all drive me crazy sometimes.

    g00glieelm0, Nov 1, 2006

  2. g00glieelm0

    BillW50 Guest

    Some of us use quiet PDAs just for this reason. ;)

    BillW50, Nov 1, 2006

  3. g00glieelm0

    SMS Guest

    When I was designing thin clients, fans were absolutely prohibited.
    There were no drives of any kind, so they were essentially silent.

    It's extremely difficult to design a system with convection cooling with
    the power levels of CPUs. Most people aren't willing to put up with the
    lower performance just for lower noise.

    SMS, Nov 1, 2006
  4. g00glieelm0

    E Brown Guest

    There's a cure for that. Run down to your local thrift shop and
    pick up any model of old manual typewriter. Anytime you think your
    laptop is noisy, just thread in a sheet of paper into its rollers and
    type a couple dozen lines. Your laptop will suddenly be silent as the
    grave, trust me.
    epbrown

    E Brown, Nov 2, 2006