The GA-H55m-s2v motherboard

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Paul, Jan 18, 2012.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The attribute is mainly with respect to the processor.

    You might argue that the ability to address more than 4GB of
    system memory, is also important. And that can be a function
    of the chipset. For example, there is one old Intel chipset,
    which can accept 4x2GB sticks of RAM, and yet when you run
    the system, it will only report 4GB of memory as present.
    And that's because the system bus on the Northbridge of the
    chipset, lacks 36 bits for the address. It only has a 32 bit
    address bus. In your case, with the H55, this is irrelevant
    (memory controller is inside the processor, no skinny busses).

    You need to look up the processor you've purchased, to see what
    it is. I have a suspicion most of the processors that will fit
    in the motherboard, are 64 bit capable.

    We start with the CPU support table from the Gigabyte site.

    http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3601

    First, I'll check a cheesy processor, to see what it offers. $87 approx.

    Intel Pentium G6950 2.80GHz 3MB Clarkdale 32nm C2 73W 133 F1

    We go to ark.intel.com to look up products.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/43230/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G6950-(3M-Cache-2_80-GHz)

    "Instruction Set 64-bit"

    Try another. Core i3-530.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/46472/Intel-Core-i3-530-Processor-(4M-Cache-2_93-GHz)

    "Instruction Set 64-bit"

    It's looking pretty safe. They're all going to be 64 bit capable. You can
    use a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS with them.

    *******

    You may notice graphics connectors on the back of the motherboard.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-457-Z02?$S640W$

    Those graphics connectors only work, if there is a GPU (video chip) inside
    the CPU package. The block diagram shows the detail. I think it's that
    "FDI" path on the side. It makes a video connection from the video chip
    inside the processor package, to the output driver in the PCH.

    http://ark.intel.com/inc/images/diagrams/diagram-18.gif

    On the G6950, it lists

    "Integrated Graphics Yes"

    so you wouldn't need a graphics card to build a minimal system.

    If instead, we look at a Core i5 750 from the Gigabyte list...

    http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/Intel-Core-i5-750-Processor-(8M-Cache-2_66-GHz)

    "Integrated Graphics No"

    That means, if you buy the 750 (a very nice processor), it lacks
    a video chip inside, and so you end up buying a cheap video card
    to provide video (costs an extra $39 maybe). With the 750 installed,
    the DVI-D and VGA connectors on the back of the motherboard, won't work.

    That's about all you have to watch for. You could also check for
    VT-X as an option, but the Windows 7 "WinXP mode" no longer
    absolutely needs VT-X to work (Microsoft changed the requirement
    after launch). And right off hand, I don't know if any other cheap/free
    virtual environments need it or not.

    If I look on Newegg, I can get an idea of which processors are
    still being manufactured by Intel for socket 1156.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=100007671 600005864&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA 1156

    Of the lot, this one was the best rated - i3 540. I expect
    that's because it is only $99. The quad for $329 is nuts.
    You might have to check elsewhere (Ebay?), to find a low end quad
    for the socket.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115221

    Core Clarkdale
    Multi-Core Dual-Core
    Name Core i3-540
    Freq 3.06GHz
    L3 Cache 4MB

    Integrated Graphics Intel HD Graphics
    Virtualization Technology Support Yes

    That's virtually the same as the processor I'm using, only
    I paid about double that for mine (socket 775).

    Another thing - open the box holding the motherboard, pull
    the plastic cap covering the socket, and visually inspect
    the contacts. If any of the contacts are bent or distorted,
    or the pins are fouled with dirt, don't bother buying a processor.
    If the motherboard is damaged, it would be a more risky project
    to fork out the bucks for a processor. Damaged socket contacts also
    invalidate the warranty on the motherboard (if it was damaged in
    manufacturing, return it to the retailer immediately).

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 18, 2012

  2. Paul

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <antRq.1759$>
    For whatever it's worth, it's better to put useful information in the
    body rather than just the subject.

    Anyway, GA-H55m-s2v is 64-bit.

    DevilsPGD, Jan 18, 2012

  3. Paul

    Peter Guest

    Hello;
    From a person who dosnt know. Where in the manual does it explain
    whether the motherboard is 32 bit or 64 bit. A friend gave me a unused
    motherboard, but i just dont know .

    Thanks

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 18, 2012