The idiot DELL 8300 doesn't truly turn off the power, it sends messages out when sleeping

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jian, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Jian

    Jian Guest

    My newly bought DELL 8300's power is never truly OFF.
    The router shows it's active (the pair of lights are on)
    even it's "SHUT DOWN". I contacted DELL several times and
    only got one response with a link of an article (what good
    service!!!).

    I turned off all kinds of BIOS power manager and windows XP
    (the worst thing that we are forced to have paid for) power
    manager thing. The router's light is still on. But now only
    the green light (not the yellow 10/100 light) is on.

    When it's active, any other computers can not access to
    internet. I must turn off the DELL manually and reset the router
    to access internet from other computers.

    Thanks for you fellows' help. I 'm sure I'm not alone.
    How to turn OFF the DELL trully and not let it to "CONTROL"
    the router?

    Before I had this DELL, I never had problem of this kind.

    Regards.

    Jian

    Jian, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Jian:

    ALL ATX chassis work this way -- ALL. The NIC has power such that if a "magic packet" is
    sent to the NIC, the PC will auto-power up.
    As for a dependency between the Dell PC and the Router -- that should not be. You must have
    installed/configured something wrong.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 28, 2003

  3. In the BIOS, set the "Remote Wake Up" to Off and the "Low Power Mode" to
    "Enabled". You can also take a look at the suspend mode: S1 or S3, I'm not
    sure if this last setting is involved in the power mode. Your computer
    should now be truly Off.

    When you say that the router's light remain on when you set to OFF the Dell,
    what about the light on the ethernet port on the Dell?

    As for why other computers can not access the internet, there is something
    wrong about the setup of your network or about the setup of the NIC in your
    Dell, but the Dell 8300 by itself is surely not the culprit.

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Jian

    Jian Guest

    Dave:

    You might be right about the NIC. But ALL other PCs don't do that.
    When they are turned OFF. The pair of lights on router for that PC
    are OFF. No question and never fail, only this DELL, since day 1
    the DELL arrives. So, I don't think I set something wrong.

    Last night, I finally got through DELL. After 20 minutes waiting,
    it happens what rumous says, it actually connected to India and
    I got service from India's DELL service station.

    Anyways, after I provided the serial number of the PC and my
    name, address, etc. a guy told me to unplug the power cord and
    hold the power botton for >10 seconds.

    OK, it's off now. Hope it holds this way.

    Jian

    Jian, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Jian

    HH Guest

    Is there a "wake on LAN option in the 8300 BIOS?
    HH

    HH, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Jian

    Robert Guest

    The new PC's do this - its not a Dell thing. It is a combination of an ATX
    power supply and the 'wake on up lan' feature. I have enabled this on my
    homebuilt PC.

    Some of the PCI network cards you buy have a small 'power' cable supplied to
    connect from the card to the motherboard - this is the wake up on lan power
    wire.
    On the earlier Optiplex's (starting with later model GXa) I knew it was the
    purple wire. If that voltage went bad the on-board NIC wouldn't function.
    You could check the BIOS and see if there is an option to disable WUOL.

    Have a read of
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html - it gives the
    power supply pin-outs.

    Robert, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Jian

    jim Guest

    Welcome to the new wonderful world of dell computers and world class
    customer service. By the way,how are your foreign language skills.

    Jim

    jim, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Jian

    Jian Guest

    Can't you say something useful other than this?
    What do you really want to say?

    Jian, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Jian

    WSZsr Guest