    came, if remember correctly, with a couple of fun to use applications!
    And, best of all, at last we had a computer at home that my wife could
    use!

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 18, 2010

  2. TaliesinSoft

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In many ways, the advantages of the Mac over the PC remain much the
    same- ease of use, reliability, fun.

    Tim McNamara, Aug 19, 2010

  3. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    After making the opening posting in the thread I thought a bit of my
    background might be in order.

    I have had home access to computing since 1960. Until 1983 it was via a
    terminal connected to a remote mainframe. In 1983 I got my first
    personal computer, an Apple III. Also in 1983 I was using an IBM PC to
    access a mainframe. From 1984 until now my home computing has been Mac
    centric, initially on desktops and starting with the Pismo (don't ask
    me the date) on laptops.

    Around 1983/1984 an associate of mine and I developed a front end to a
    UNIX operating system which ran on an IBM PC. We called it InSight and
    it allowed one to be running up to ten concurrent tasks, each in its
    own window. The windows were overlapping and all of the windows could
    be updating concurrently. This was at the time when Microsoft was
    demonstrating the first version of Windows which had tiled, not
    overlapping, windows. I gave a presentation of InSight at a computer
    conference in San Francisco, and afterwards I was invited to go to
    Redmond and demonstrate it to a team from Microsoft. It was after that
    demonstration that Microsoft changed from tiled windows to overlapping
    windows. Hmmmmm......

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 19, 2010
  4. So it's because of you that MS violated its license with Apple? Sorry,
    not buying that. Macintosh already had that in 1984.

    Howard S Shubs, Aug 19, 2010
  5. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    First of all the presentation I gave on InSight was in 1983 prior to
    the release of the Macintosh. Secondly, when we developed InSight the
    thought that multiple overlapping windows was something that could
    belong to one particlar implementor was foreign to us.

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 19, 2010
  6. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Continuing a bit about InSight...

    InSight was implemented in QNX, a UNIX dialect that was available on
    the IBM PC. InSight was completely keyboard driven, the commands being
    initiated by the concurrent clicking on two side by side function keys
    on the IBM PC keyboard which at that time had ten function keys on the
    left side of the keyboard arranged in five rows of two keys per row.
    Initiating an InSight command this way meant that there would be no
    conflict with any programs running on the PC as no other programs used
    concurrent function keys.

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 19, 2010
  7. In 1985 I had an Apple Iic and I bought a MacSE. I soon upgraded to an
    S/E 33.

    N o s t a l g i a reigns.

    ZenMaster-Flash, Aug 19, 2010
  8. As I understand it, Apple had Macintosh under development for a few
    years before it was released in January 1984. Not so?

    Howard S Shubs, Aug 19, 2010
  9. TaliesinSoft

    Rick Jones Guest

    Rick Jones, Aug 19, 2010
  10. This might be of interest. Search for Insight. Having things under
    development doesn't constitute a copyright.

    <http://books.google.com/books?id=7y8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=InSighco
    mputer+program+James+Ryan&source=bl&ots=OT1t7HH5wB&sig=pdeWxDnWSmpVoAe0V3
    9uxGrRBxE&hl=en&ei=QkJvTOO_NIi2sAOyup19&amp;sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result
    &resnum=2&ved=0CBgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&amp;f=false>

    You have to be careful Taliensoft, nosy people may google. My hat's off
    to you.

    leo

    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 21, 2010
  11. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2010-08-20 22:34:15 -0500, Leonard Blaisdell said:

    [continuing in the discussion of the InSight system which I worked on
    in the early 1980s]
    Thanks for finding that article which I haven't seen for years. I
    vividly remember giving that demonstration of InSight to John Markoff.

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 21, 2010
  12. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Continuing in my commenting on InSight, a window manager I helped
    implement in 1983....

    Sometime after the San Francisco Computer Faire in 1983, and I'm sorry
    the date escapes me, I demonstrated InSight at a different conference,
    also held in San Francisco. I shared the session with the principal
    designer of the original yet to be released version of Microsoft
    Windows. The person who was, to my memory, the principal designer felt
    that overlapping windows, which we used in InSight, were not the way to
    go, instead he advocated that a tiled presentation would be better.
    There is an article in Wikipedia which shows an example screen, the
    link being <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows>.
    One amusing thing I remember that the fellow from Microsoft was
    nicknamed "Dr. Tiles".

    It was after this presentation that I went to Redmond and presented
    InSight to a team from Microsoft. Whether or not my presentation had
    any influence on Microsoft's changing from a tiled window interface to
    an overlapping window interface is, at least to me, totally unknown.

    As an aside, one of the things we liked to include in a presentation of
    InSight was the fact that when text was scrolled the scroll was smooth,
    unlike the jerky scrolling one received with PD DOS. What we had done
    is to synchronize the presentation of the scrolling image with the
    refreshing of the screen. I'm sorry but I can't exactly remember the
    complete technical details. But it was a fun demonstration!

    TaliesinSoft, Aug 21, 2010